Differential, transfer case, driveshaft ... Your guess?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Primetime

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday season. I mentioned in another thread that I purchased a 2010 with 41,000 miles on it. I didn’t notice during the test drive, but there is a whine/hum in the driveline. It is only there when I am in drive, and I either give her a decent amount of gas (at least 1/3 throttle) or I am going uphill. I thought it may be the attached TSB from another thread so I installed the transfer case damper associated with it, but that turned out to not be the issue. The YouTube video below is after I installed the damper. I am driving up a steep hill with my phone laying in the driver’s side footwell close to the console recording the video. The clip begins with me at a standstill, and I slowly increase throttle until about 3k. The high pitch whine comes into play somewhere in the 2200-2500 rpm range. I am waiting on transfer case/differential fluid to be delivered so I can do a change on them and look closely at the current fluids for metal. Does anyone know the problem off the top of their head? Any help will be appreciated.

http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/SB-10069796-0699.pdf

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but based on the narrow rpm range, the the sound, it seems to be a resonance frequency.

Does it happen in all gears at that rpm? It should be straight-forward to find out if it is mph-specific or rpm-specific.

Primetime

Reaction score
It does make noise in all gears based on how hard I hit the gas. It is not speed related. Cruising around like of the highway is quiet. It’s only when I accelerate or I’m going up a steep incline causing the truck to work hard

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that is the case, then it reinforces my belief that it is a resonance issue. Hard to tell from the video, but it seems like it's something external. Perhaps a metallic heat shield or something of the sort that is not tightened down or barely touching something and a particular amount of load is causing flex or a frequency that cause a part to vibrate.

Is it more audible with the windows down? I would see if I can get a mike under the car and see if it can pick it up. I would chase that down first.

If that sound came from inside an oiled system, that would be a bit worrisome.

I'd:

1) Try to nail down if it is an external vibration issue or not.

2) Flush drive train fluids. Probably not a bad idea anyway, since you don't know how it was used. They may have towed/off-roaded a lot with it. (???)

Go from there.

Primetime

Reaction score
In another thread Jaguardoc504 said that what I was describing sounded like the carrier bearing. I did some research and found a few videos of other cars with “failing” but not failed bearings that made the same noise. I got under the truck and moved the rear driveshaft around and there is play. I am only using one hand to move the prop as I videotape. Also the noises you hear are my hand on the metal not coming from the metal itself, however if you listen closely you can hear a “squishing” coming from the rubber around the bearing. Can anyone with a good working carrier bearing confirm if this is normal movement. I would assume that there should be some play but mine seems a little excessive.

Last edited:

Rex Rekstad

Reaction score
The fact that the noise only appears under load screams bearing. Sometimes you just need to let them get bad enough before you can feel the play.

Juanrs

Reaction score
In another thread Jaguardoc504 said that what I was describing sounded like the carrier bearing. I did some research and found a few videos of other cars with “failing” but not failed bearings that made the same noise. I got under the truck and moved the rear driveshaft around and there is play. I am only using one hand to move the prop as I videotape. Also the noises you hear are my hand on the metal not coming from the metal itself, however if you listen closely you can hear a “squishing” coming from the rubber around the bearing. Can anyone with a good working carrier bearing confirm if this is normal movement. I would assume that there should be some play but mine seems a little excessive.

Mine moves that much, maybe more, but I have an LR3 and I also have a strange thumping noise under light load that I can't find. While driving the noise suddenly stops and the car veers to the left, leading me to believe it's the differential.

Kenneth Kahan

Reaction score
I've heard sounds like that and they are related to exhaust flow. You may have a catalytic converter or muffler that is coming apart inside and at the right air pressure creates a resonance just like air howling around a building or what you hear from the front grill on some cars.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a tsb to add a weight to the transfer case to solve a problem described like this. Some sort of resonance thing with vibration of the trans/transfer case.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72