DII Won't Start M & S lights flashing windows not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkdirt63

Reaction score
I have a 99 Disco II, I went to start it and nothing happened didn't try to turn over or anything, and the sport and manual mode were flashing and a slash thriough the D in nest to the trip display. Took the key out and tried again same thing happened. Took the key out and tried again and this time it fired right up. Then I put front windows down, pushed the buttons and they started going down automatically, I pushed up on the buttons to stop them half way and it didn't stop them they just went down. I tried to put them up and nothing happened.
I turned the truck off thinking maybe just a malfunction. When I went to turn if back on it would start doing like before flashing. Tried several times to start and nothing and windows still wont go up, the interior lights don't work power seats and lock/alarm don't work. I unhooked the battery and that didn't help.
ANY suggestions on what is the problem or at least how to get the windows up

DiscoIIman

Reaction score
My guess would be the battery is on it's last leg or you have a bad ground somehwere.

Last edited:

dkdirt63

Reaction score
The windows stopped working while the truck was running. The headlights still turn on nice and bright. The battery isn't too old.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally a flashing M&S indicates the battery is starting to die.

Two questions since this is your first post. How many miles and what changes have been made to the disco lately.

Also (yep 3 questions) how old is not too old on the battery?

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My money is on the grounding issue. And possible battery.

dkdirt63

Reaction score
125,000 I haven't made any changes. I do not drive it much at all. I talked to a Master Rover tech on justanswers.com and said the only relationship between the M & S lights and the windows would be the IDM. And that is part of the fuse box under the steering wheel. So I bought a used fuse box off ebay( Atlantic British was $400) and that didn't fix it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
HOW old is the battery?

dkdirt63

Reaction score
About a year, but I have had to charge it 3 or 4 times. Its not my daily driver and if it sits for more than a week there is not enough juice to start it. I figured that since the windows stopped working while the truck was running that I wasn't looking at a battery issue.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have had to charge it 3 or 4 times, buy a deep cycle marine battery, since normal car batteries do not like to be run dead it will **** them.

If you are anywhere near Cincinnati Ohio, I would give you a battery, I have about 16 or so in my garage and should have 12 more soon.

Deep cycle UPS (uninterrupted power supply) batteries. cold cranking around 1200 cranking amps 10 year batteries that have only been used for 5 years, and then they have only been sitting there charging.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get your battery/alternator checked at the local auto parts store and quit guessing. Voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.
Yes, I know you have a fairly new battery, they do fail. Also make sure your cables are clean and tight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72