Dilemma: LR3 or GX470 ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

purist

Hi, I am new here and have ordered a grey HSE comming to my dealership sometime in May. I have test drove the car and was impressed having driven many other great SUV's in the past. The other car that has given me a outstanding first impression was the VW Touareg but have heard not too nice things about reliability and, to be honest, I am not quite ready to spend that kind of money on a VW even though I understand they have raised the bar on their qaulity. Based on past experiences, going the Land Rover route is not an intellectual decision either. However, with the amount of money Ford has put into the new LR3 it is a risk I am willing to take. I would like to think of myself as a little bit of a purist when it comes to selecting cars. Performance is the number one criteria I look for when it comes to buying. All negativity aside, regardless of how the discovery series may have gained a reputation for not being the most reliable vehicles on the road, it did perform better than most. I was looking for an SUV that seated more than 5 that I could take off roading. As much as a purist I would like to think I am, luxury does also play an important role. The LR3 is very deficient in this category. I was looking at the GX470 recently and talked to some enthusiasts who say that the GX is the better car overall. They tend to be very biased and had nothing but disdain for Land Rover. I like the interior and looks of the GX 470 and I know that the GX is a capable performer but the purity of the Land Rover LR3 is too unresistable for me to ignore. In the last car I bought I had the dilemma of choosing between a BMW M3 and the Mitsubishi EVO. I selected the M3 even though the EVO was a flat out better performer it was just too high school for me. However I am leaning towards the LR3 and I am hoping some of you can edge me more towards this decision. Its really the wifes car but she does not really care between the two and I will be driving it most of the time on our adventures anyway.

T

texas911

The GX? Its a Lexus, so its reilable and solid, but in the end, its just a dolled up Toyota 4Runner. The LR3 is a purpose built SUV that is supremely capable off road, but now its also quite capable on road, unlike the Disco. I'm sure the Lexus is a good car but the LR3 just has that little something extra that did it for me. Your mileage may vary.

W

w6000

I was in the same position. I was deciding betwee the GX470 the Land Cruiser, and the LR3. The GX470 did have better a better interior, and the quality of a Lexus I could not argue with. However my wife and I both thought the LR3 was easier to drive. Even though the LR3 is 6000 lbs the air suspension helps it drive better than the GX470. In addition the 3rd row is the best in the industry. We both thought that the 3rd row in the GX470 was useless. The last thing that sealed my decision was that the LR3 had more interior room and storage than the GX470. The 3rd row folds flat, unlike the GX470 where you have to remove the 3rd row to gain more storage. I just thought that with kids, dog, toys, luggage, and everything else that the more room the better. I kind of like the fact that the car is kind of bland on the inside. I got a loaded LR3 SE, only with out rear air control(I wanted more storage). I would not have been happy with the GX470.

M

maneesh

i'm in the same position

I am looking to trade in my 2002 ML320 for something else. The 2006 ML350, although is sleeker and has a better interior than its predecessor, it does not have any space and is smaller than its predecessor, with not as good off-road capabilities.

Now am I deciding between the GX and the LR3. The GX is more luxurious, but lacks space. It has two shifters and does not have manual shift mode. But it does have air suspension as an option, known as KDSS. Also has a reputation for build quality and resale value that others can't complete with.

I haven't test driven either. But if I walk up to the GX and see TOYOTA eched on the glass, I'm walking away from it. The profit margin on the Lexus's is too much and Toy needs to chill.

Good luck with your decision making... One thing though, the CD changer does not play MP3's in the GX. ALso, GX does not have adaptive headlights and HID's. Not to mention, the LR3 comes with 4 years of scheduled maintenance.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GX 470 in it's 2005 more powerful engine form is a true competitor, especially with KDSS. If you don't need the bigger 3rd row and can handle the right-swinging rear door, it'll be a hard choice. It's probably the "smart" choice (it can be discounted easily, excellent resale, "kiss ass" dealer network, etc.) -- but I'm not smart. ;)

I hope you are kidding about walking away if "Toyota" is etched on the glass...

B

backpain

Do you like to drive? I mean drive and feel connected to the vehicle and the road, the experience of driving, handling a machine and being the driver? Yes, go with the LR3. No, go with the Lexus. Both are excellent trucks, and both a great off road. My biz partner went with the GX470 and it's nice, refined, all Lexus... and a complete bore to drive. I really like the GX, but I still like the utilitarian, minimalistic "rover", if I want to buy a car I'd go for that new M45 from Infiniti. If you want a "truck" go with the LR3.

Toyota can build a car, and they're smart. You attach the words luxury, perfection or executive to anything and we stupid yanks will eat it up and ask for the price to be higher.

M

maneesh

Don't get me wrong

I love Toyota's. My every day car is a 92 Camry with 148k miles on it. Minimum maintenance, bore to drive, but it gets me to work and back.

My friend has a 2000 GS300 and on the glass, it says Toyota on it. My other friend has a 2002 IS300 and it says Lexus on the glass - go figure. All I'm hoping is that you are paying for luxury, and one should get it.

My better half and I are still debating between the LR3 and GX. Price may be a deciding factor however.

backpain - i was also looking at the M35 AWD as a replacement for the camry.

J

jasbluesal

There's a brand new GX470 on the lot at MV Land Rover. Owner traded it in with 5,000 miles for the LR3. There's also a fairly new Denali traded in for the LR3 also.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main reason why I didn't buy the GX470 was that the 3rd row seats, when folded are still in the way, not like the LR3 where the 3rd row folds flush to the floor. Also, I don't believe in paying for an overglorified Toyota. I'd rather get a regular Toyota and save the money.

C

Cat

Purist, I made the decision to buy LR3 in October of last year for alot of the reasons you mentioned. (SE/Adriatic Blue/Alpaca/3rd row seating/Lighting Pkg/ Cold Climate Pkg/Rear Climate Control) My wife is also principle driver of the vehicle. She is very satisfied with the vehicle. Ride, handling and quietness are all excellent in her opinion. But there are a couple of things that she dislikes which may cause me to look for another vehicle for her. My vehicle does not have rear parking sensor (although this is an available option) which had become to be expected because it was in previous vehicles she drove. She also is not totally satisfied with the look & feel of the interior. She thinks it is a liitle too practical & not luxurious enough ( I think it is a great look & feel). But her biggest critique is that the vehicle in general looks & feels too masculine for her tastes!! So it appears I may take this vehicle to drive (oh, what a pity!!!!). I am considering putting her in a RR Sport when they come later in the summer. I have a feeling that vehicle may overcome the masculinity problem she has with the LR3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72