Disco 5 hit with the ugly stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months back I had spied a D5 at the local dealer. I wasn't fond of the design and especially the rear end but I failed to appreciate just how awful it was. Fast forward to today. I was overtaking something that looked like an Explorer but with a larger more bulbous ass. Could it be? My first D5 sighting in the flesh? As I got closer the vehicle just looked worse and worse. The big butt was finished in a dark green. Looked awful. I didn't want to post this in the D5 forum as it may offend but that is a butt only a mother could love.

Hope the Defender comes soon and isn't hit with the same ugly stick.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Hope the Defender comes soon and isn't hit with the same ugly stick.
I'll see if I can find the Defender spy shots that came out recently. Unfortunately if legit, it did in fact get hit by the same ugly stick. The Disco Sport, Disco, Defender.... they're just scaled versions of the same car from the looks of it. :hmmmm:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a shame. I remember when I saw my first LR3 (Silver with the black plastic wheel arches) parked in the lobby of my office tower. The design looked bold, understated and purposeful. It drew quite a crowd as there was nothing on the road like it. I think I still prefer that simple LR3 design to my current LR4.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s one story on the topic;
https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-land-rover-defender-won-t-be-a-retro-re-make-116528.html

And the alleged spy shots;
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...-new-land-rover-defender-is-in-the-works.html

"...Without giving away any intimate details, other than confirming the vehicle won’t feature any exposed rivets – a signature design cue of the original - he admitted the design “in its entirety is complete” and the engineering division has completed construction of the first series of prototype vehicles.

McGovern said the Defender will retain the original’s rugged off-road abilities, but he conceded the car’s modernised exterior design won’t be dictated by the ageless appeal of its predecessor that recently ceased production and changed little in its 69 years on-sale."

land-rover-defender-mule-spy-photos-10.jpg

land-rover-defender-mule-lwb-spy-photos-06.jpg

E0E6FEBC-1C0C-40B6-B4FB-51114BB4B2D0.jpeg

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not what the Defender will look like. That's random bodyparts from other vehicles that they cobbled together to slap on the upcoming Defender's chassis and drivetrain in order to drive it around.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not what the Defender will look like. That's random bodyparts from other vehicles that they cobbled together to slap on the upcoming Defender's chassis and drivetrain in order to drive it around.
Can't tell if you are kidding or serious. Anything is possible with LR lately. :D

Do you think it'll look more like the DC100 FJ-Cruiser lookalike prototype?
That would be consistent with the D5 that came out. It looked just like prototype exterior (although the interior was not that crazy modern looking thing at the initial show).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not kidding. If you look closely, you can tell the rear side-door is just a door skin that's been glued on top. The front is the front of the RRS or new Disco; the rear may be too. It's just been sliced and chopped to fit the wheelbase and body mounts of the new Defender chassis.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're going all-out to try to slow down the Chinese knockoffs.

Still laughing at the OP's impressions. Also agreeing with the admirers of the LR3 in particular. I like my last two LR4s for some of the tech and engine improvements, but there's no denying that the LR3 seemed more no-nonsense in its lack of bling.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what ktm525 mentioned as well others all looking the same "ugly" different models is a result of the same vehicle just depends on how long the vehicle was being crushed in a trash compactor.
GM, Toyota, Ford, Kia all looking the same, just change out the plastic manufacture's names on their vehicles.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned multiple rovers and everyone screams blasphemy, it's the end of the world when there's a redesign. I agree its an evolutionary process with the goal to sell vehicles. While those of us who love the squareness remain stoic in our design likes, reality is designs have to change and I can say that after looking for a D5 to replace my touareg for a couple of months, I haven't been 100% loving the new design. However, someone in our parking garage has bought one and I've had several weeks walking past it to digest and I really think it's a great design evolution. It needs more aggressive tires and a rack (see the posting from Lucky8) and it becomes the SUV that rivals the LR4. I too am looking forward to the new Defender, as long as it doesn't look like a Jeep Renegade on steroids... Here's the Lucky8 link: https://www.lucky8llc.com/blogs/lucky8-blog/exploring-discovery-5-d5-options

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi