Disco 5 Shifter Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not pulled the trigger yet but dreaming about a Disco 5, I wonder what the possibility of swapping the shifter lever out of a RR Sport to replace the dumb looking rotary dial. The Disco 5 SVX has a shifter that looked like the RR stick.
Land-Rover-Discovery-SVX-interior.jpg

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing, from the looks of new models, they may be reverting back to this shifter on many models, so perhaps in time it will be standard again.

gypsy

Reaction score
I sure hope they bring it back. Even my wife was annoyed with the change on the 2014 LR4...so much so that we kept our search to 2012-2013's when shopping.

gypsy

Reaction score
Anyone have the part number for it? I'd bet it's plug and play.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR104315 but I see sport suspension and color affect the item number. That number is ebony/pimento with sport suspension. Maybe this is a crackpot idea. I was thinking it would be electronic but there is actually a cable and it's a different part number from the Discovery cable. Bummer.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not pulled the trigger yet but dreaming about a Disco 5, I wonder what the possibility of swapping the shifter lever out of a RR Sport to replace the dumb looking rotary dial. The Disco 5 SVX has a shifter that looked like the RR stick.

Really? I appear to be in the minority. I love not having the stick in the counsule. Not like it's hooked up to anything and they just take up space. The dial gives a nice level, clean line that looks uncluttered and you're not knocking your coffee into the darn thing or whatever.

My super duty has a column shifter, but I wish it has the dial and paddles like our LR4. Different strokes...

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it has to do with feel, having driven manuals for the first 20 years of my driving, I like having something to put my hand on when driving, plus I think it would be easier to pull up, pop into neutral for a moment while coasting to a stop and then pop it into reverse right at the dead stop moment, all in one fluid motion, which is just something I tend to do when backing into my driveway.

When I am on the highway my wife gets annoyed at traffic and literally left-hand punches my shifter into sport mode and yells "go" to pass someone. Teamwork! :driver:

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As they are both drive by wire it should be doable. May require an update with the computer

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi