Discos in snow picture thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year folks, SNOW! Once we get some more I want to pack up the recovery gear, find a few brave friends and head into some deep stuff, but for now, let's hear how the tires are doing in the snow and what it looks like in the cold stuff.

Today I was just amused by all the poor saps who don't drive an LR4. Crappy tires, front wheel drive, no electronic auto-locking diffs. The silent armors did better than I expected on stopping this beast. As for take off, well, I used grass/gravel/snow of course and a bit of throttle and both diffs lock up and you just GO!

Let's see your snow rover pictures! (all LR models are welcome of course)

IMG_20131125_083955_zps6314ed7d.jpg

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome.
tell me about your tires. what size Silent Armors?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
265/65R18 on the compomotive PD1880

Hey MBW

I am still waiting for 18s but I noticed that the tires you picked are not rated XL and max pressure is 44psi.

How do you deal with this? Still inflate to 36/42?

Axel

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
psh.... no chance of snow here.....

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey MBW

I am still waiting for 18s but I noticed that the tires you picked are not rated XL and max pressure is 44psi.

How do you deal with this? Still inflate to 36/42?

Axel

The load rating is a bit higher than the stock ones, and yes, they do fine at 36/42. I put a little more in the fronts normally. They seem fine at 40/42.

They didnt have an XL in the size i wanted and 2469 lbs. is plenty for my purposes (including pulling a good sized trailer). They have pretty good sidewalls as it is, kevlar and whatnot.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome photo! While we don't have snow here in the SF bay area, it's just a relatively short drive away (2-3 hours) for some great snow trails. Our place in UT is on the AZ border, so not too much snow there compared to the north.

I can't wait to go back home to MA in a few weeks and go play up in NH, though I won't have my LR4. :-( Maybe Axel can bring his! :)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome photo! While we don't have snow here in the SF bay area, it's just a relatively short drive away (2-3 hours) for some great snow trails. Our place in UT is on the AZ border, so not too much snow there compared to the north.

I can't wait to go back home to MA in a few weeks and go play up in NH, though I won't have my LR4. :-( Maybe Axel can bring his! :)

Always ready to play in the snow David ;)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The load rating is a bit higher than the stock ones, and yes, they do fine at 36/42. I put a little more in the fronts normally. They seem fine at 40/42.

They didnt have an XL in the size i wanted and 2469 lbs. is plenty for my purposes (including pulling a good sized trailer). They have pretty good sidewalls as it is, kevlar and whatnot.

XL is actually for the maximum pressure. It allows to get to 51psi.

In the case of the LR4 it's a pretty good thing as the recommended pressure is at 42 for the rear and pressure increases or decreases by 1psi every 10 degrees. It also increases as the tires get warmer when you drive for more than 5 minutes ;) it turns out I've never really noticed much of a difference after driving around town.

In any case, I like the tires you picked (severe weather rated) but I'm most likely go with a XL or E rated tire.

Axel

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72