Discovery 4 Sat Nav reset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vinces

Reaction score
Hi, I have been doing an upgrade to the maps on my Disco. It appears that the engine should be running for nearly three hours. Unfortunately I stopped the engine and now despite the USB stick not being in the car, I am still getting the message update in progress. Can any body tell me how to reset it so the I can do a clean install.
Thanks in advance

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a guess: disconnect the battery; wait 15 minutes; reconnect the battery.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2012 and later satnav maps can be upgraded without involving a dealer - at least on NAS LR4s - with a USB stick purchased online (there is a VIN-dependent activation code that you need to enter with the touchscreen when you start the installation, to insure the stick will work only on your vehicle. The code is generated when you order the USB stick and enter your VIN.)

Going back to the original question, just because the upgrade process was interrupted when you turned off the engine, it dioesn't mean it has failed. The process automatically resumes the next time you start the engine, for as many on/off cycles as necessary, until it is complete. I don't recall installation taking 3 hours overall - it took maybe an hour in my 2013 the last time I upgraded the satnav about 3/4 years ago - but it does take quite a bit of time, and what I wouldn't do at this point is attempting to reset the system with a battery disconnect... There is a 50/50 chance it may work or permanently brick the hard drive - which would be a huge headache as it's not like you or a dealer can reformat these proprietary drives as you would on a regular computer if you screw up.

If I were you, I would insert the stick back into the USB port under the arm rest, restart the car and hope and pray the upgrade process eventually resumes where it left off when you removed it, because the instructions that came with the stick are quite clear and warn you not to remove the USB device until install is complete:

https://landrover.navigation.com/pr...2018-NA/sku/T1000-27160/en_US/LandRoverNA/USD

Last edited:

Vinces

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks for the replys. I bought the update on Ebay and it was VIN coded. However the update has been in progress for well over 6 hours and it is still saying update in progress although the USB stick is not in the car. Disconnecting the battery I believe only clears memory settings otherwise if the battery was disconnected for any reason you would loose your maps every time. I think it may be necessary to contact a dealer but any more advice would be appreciated.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bought it (probably used) on eBay it couldn't have been VIN coded for your vehicle, so the update won't complete. I think you are right and you should contact a dealer at this point.

Vinces

Reaction score
Hi Umbertob, I bought the download on ebay but it was set to my VIN and the necessary password was supplied. I am now in the position of having no satnav, radio or hands free phone. There is no option but to visit a dealer.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't see how a seller on eBay would be able to set you up with a legit copy of this software included the proper activation code. AFAIK, that's only available for purchase directly from HERE (formerly Navteq) - but perhaps it works differently in countries outside of the US/Canada. Either way, I would be very careful buying these maps on eBay, especially if unlock codes are involved... Oh well, too late for that I guess. Let us know what the dealer says, because I think you have no other options to get your infotainment system back at this point.

Last edited:

Vinces

Reaction score
Hi Umbertob, I am currently in Spain but as soon as I see a dealer, I will report back

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA