Do I wait to do the brakes or?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by TheWidup, Jul 16, 2019.

1. TheWidup

TheWidup Full Access Member

2013 LR4 - 41k now.

I bought this lovely beast with 24k miles on it and the brakes were a little chirpy then. It's been getting a little be more pronounced as of late and even chirps at highway speeds. There's no feeling of warped rotors or drop in response for stopping but the chirping/squeaking is getting worse and more frequent. It's really more of a nuisance and slight embarrassment rolling into parking lots, stop signs, in/out of the garage.

Should I wait for the pad sensors to fire off or do I bite the bullet and chase down doing the replacement before the sensors burn up?

2. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

I've done my brakes a few times and I've never waited for a sensor to go off. As a result, I've never had to replace a sensor.

TheWidup likes this.
  3. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

Same here. Except when I was an idiot and damaged the front one during the brake service.

If the pads look visibly worn, changing them could make it go away. I replaced my rear pads at ~23k miles and the slight noise issues I had went away for good. It has been 3 years and 13k miles and no issues.

TheWidup likes this.
  4. TheWidup

TheWidup Full Access Member

And I thought 10k a year was low mileage!

5. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

The first 3 years we owned it we put on 7500 miles per year like clockwork. The last three years have been less (~5.5k, ~4k, and probably 5k this year) because I had a bad foot injury for many months and because we had a leased vehicles with a lot of "free" miles. I suspect we will go back to 6-8k miles soon.

6. Cthehentz

Cthehentz Active Member

I am in the same boat although I have all new rotors/pads boxed and waiting in the garage. Honestly I’ve been lazy lol.....

TheWidup likes this.
  7. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

I have relatively new brakes (rotors and pads) on the front and the back and I still have that embarrassing squeak. Wife enjoys giving me crap about my Distant Early Warning tone whenever I pull into the garage. I've looked into the possible causes of this (youtube generic causes, not LR-specific) but have not gotten around to doing anything about it.

8. CJ O

CJ O New Member

You could take it all apart and clean the brakes up a bit to address the sound. If the pads look worn while you’re at it, you’d know they need replacing.

9. Jermgallo

Jermgallo Member

i have 92k on my 2011 and on this set of pads still have 40% left but mechanic advised i need to change he rotors with the next pad change. Is that truly necessary?

10. NASdiesel

NASdiesel Full Access Member

Assuming your mechanic checked the rotor wear/measurement, then yes.

Jermgallo likes this.