Does each engine have a unique serial number?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSRover

Reaction score
Just wondering if each LR4 has a unique serial number tied to the VIN or is the serial number tied to all vehicles manufactured in a particular year. For example, all 2012 V8's have the same serial number.

Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vehicles are required by federal law to have a VIN (or a VIN identifier) in seven places on the vehicle, the engine being one of them.

howardduff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a barcode sticker on the engine. This will correspond to the date and time the engine was built. The engine plant uses this information to know how many repair bays the engine went thru during its build. This also helps if a problem turns up later after the vehicle is in service. They can them campaign engines built before and after that time for the problem.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, each engine (and transmission) will have a unique serial number. The dealer should be able to pull up a report that shows which serial numbers it left the factory with - not sure what the report is called though. This can be useful to determine if the engine & trans are original and match the chassis VIN.

Unfortunately, I do not know where to look on the engine (or transmission) to find the serial numbers, but I'd like to find out. Google searches were not much help as they mostly showed older LR's, not the AJ133 engine used in the 2010-2014 LR4. The transmissions serial may be easy to view, but depending where the engine serial is located, it could be difficult to access.

:dontknow:

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This identification code location .pdf should help you.

Attachments

• identification codes.pdf
    632.7 KB · Views: 124

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This identification code location .pdf should help you.
I'm not sure where that PDF is from, but it does not show the 5.0L engine, which is what the OP mentioned in his example of a 2012 LR4.

I did find something in the LR4 FSM, screen shot attached. Copy/paste for the 5.0L engine:

"V8 engines [5.0L]: The engine number is located on the front of the right-hand cam cover. To access the number, it is necessary to remove the engine covers."​

engine_serial.jpg

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The .pdf is from the LR3 shop manual. Sorry to offend you LR4 guys.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The .pdf is from the LR3 shop manual. Sorry to offend you LR4 guys.
No worries! I was just confused about it not mentioning a 5.0L V8! I know nothing about the LR3 and didn't recognize it was an LR3 manual, oooops.

;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72