Door Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Androomantoo

Reaction score
I did some searching but didn't find what I was looking for.

The drivers door on my 2012 HSE is "stiff" for lack of a better term. Everything works just fine, but it's almost like there's something pressing against the door keeping tension on it. It opens... stiffly and sorta pops open violently. The other doors all open and close with the trademark LR thud and open smoothly. The drivers door also feels like it hits the striker a split moment before it latches making it feel clunky and not very quality.

Anyone experience anything similar or know how to make adjustments on the door to help with this stiffness and clunky latching? Do I just need to lube or replace the door latch?

The weather stripping on the body in the door opening is worn and needs replacement but looks to be installed in the correct place so I don't think it's that causing the "pressure" on the door.

Thanks!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The striker -part that is bolted to the body- can be adjusted. It's a T40 torx.
Loosen the two bolts slightly and move the striker. Retighten the bolts. Check the door fit. Keep trying until you're satisfied.

Last edited:

Androomantoo

Reaction score
The striker -part that is bolted to the body- can be adjusted. I think it's a T45 torx.
Loosen the two bolts slightly and move the striker. Retighten the bolts. Check the door fit. Keep trying until you're satisfied.
Thanks!

I'll add that to the list of things to do to the Rover this weekend. Hopefully I can get it adjusted and not have the door look misaligned.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Is it the door that's mis-aligned (sagging) or just closing hard?
Closing hard is the striker location or a hinge that needs lubrication.
Mis-Aligned is the hinges that have worn and the door is sagging (like my 2002 Maxima...)

To diagnose a worn hinge, open the door just a bit, pick the door up at the end and try to lift it, if the entire vehicle moves up and down, then the hinge is OK, is there is any clunk or slop and you can move the door up and down without the vehicle moving then it's the hinges.

Androomantoo

Reaction score
Is it the door that's mis-aligned (sagging) or just closing hard?
Closing hard is the striker location or a hinge that needs lubrication.
Mis-Aligned is the hinges that have worn and the door is sagging (like my 2002 Maxima...)

To diagnose a worn hinge, open the door just a bit, pick the door up at the end and try to lift it, if the entire vehicle moves up and down, then the hinge is OK, is there is any clunk or slop and you can move the door up and down without the vehicle moving then it's the hinges.
Hinges seem fine, nice and tight, no sagging that I can tell. I noticed when I am slower and more deliberate with opening/closing the door seems fine. I am going to try lubing the latch and hinges to see if that helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick