Drivers side sunroof drains slow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So obviously I know about the drains needing to be cleaned out. Question though. Is there any difference to the driver vs passenger side? The passenger side drains right out quickly but the drivers side drains more slowly. Is this normal or do I need to keep cleaning? I’ve blown compressed air through it and still the same. Also tried trimmer line and it somehow circles back out around the top of the sunroof? Which seems weird.

rufusking

Reaction score
Mine lives outside and I clear the drains a couple of times a year, amazing how much gunk collects at the top and bottom. If you pop out the side vents you will see a bit of triangular foam in a plastic bag wedged in a stiffener / strengthening panel that is probably added to deal with some noise transmission. I've removed these as on one side the sunroof drain comes out directly behind it and if the well paid worker who shoves these in wasn't on this best game it could block / restrict the drain. I haven't noticed any difference in cabin noise with these removed. My tip to remove the side vents is to grab a light and a long thinish ***** driver and coming from the hood hinge opening you can put some downward pressure on the tabs that keep the vent grills in place and pull on the grill while doing this. You can try the grab lift and pull but its ******* the fingers.

Attachments

• Side vent sunroof drain.jpg
    Side vent sunroof drain.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 115

Matt1t

Reaction score
I wondered about the bag of foam stuffed down into that cavity. If you say you don't notice much noise difference, the next time I'm in there I may take it out. I could see it blocking the drain. I don't believe there is much difference between the driver side vs the passenger side front drains from the sun roof. I had a blocked front driver side drain. What I did, was to drop the headliner down a bit so I could get my hand up in there and I pulled off the drain tube. With my compressor I blew air down the line until it blew the crud out. Been fine since.

Nikki_LR3

Reaction score
There are 2 little holes
When you open the sunroof in each corner towards the front. You can see it better when you push that little wind deflector thing down. If it’s draining slow, **** it out now. If not it will leak into your floorboard and corrode your wires. It’s a mess, so **** it out now while it’s still draining.

Nikki_LR3

Reaction score
Mine lives outside and I clear the drains a couple of times a year, amazing how much gunk collects at the top and bottom. If you pop out the side vents you will see a bit of triangular foam in a plastic bag wedged in a stiffener / strengthening panel that is probably added to deal with some noise transmission. I've removed these as on one side the sunroof drain comes out directly behind it and if the well paid worker who shoves these in wasn't on this best game it could block / restrict the drain. I haven't noticed any difference in cabin noise with these removed. My tip to remove the side vents is to grab a light and a long thinish ***** driver and coming from the hood hinge opening you can put some downward pressure on the tabs that keep the vent grills in place and pull on the grill while doing this. You can try the grab lift and pull but its ******* the fingers.
The foam is to block off water from getting into your air intake which is on the side to the right. Keep the foam in there. It’s made there for a reason and a big reason it is. Who cares about noise reduction, it could cause a much bigger problem than that. Hope that makes a little more sense. And you can move the sunroof drain hose and point it down a little more. But just make sure that black ****** is through the hole, and make sure it’s still in good condition and not all gummed up, because it will get sticky and gummy over time.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it really must have been clogged. I just ran compressed air through it for about two minutes straight and it sped up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV