ECO Throttle Battery - 2016 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
A few weeks ago the ECO throttle light illuminated with the error message "Eco Throttle Not Available". A little research here & on other forums point towards the 2nd battery that is apparently dedicated to this feature. I consulted both a local Land Rover/British Car repair shop and my local dealer.

Repair shop: Specializes in Land Rover repairs. Owner told me it was most likely the battery but could be related to something else. Indicated they would need to run some diagnostics / test drives to ensure the battery was the issue. Estimated around $600. When I asked him if I just left it alone and lived with the light would that be ok - the owner replied that it could cause further issues down the line to other systems on the vehicle.

Dealer: Service manager seemed quite confident that the battery was the issue and needed to be replaced. Estimated around $480. When I asked him if I just left it alone and lived with the light would that be ok -He replied that no other systems are tied to it and I should be just fine to live with the light.

I never was a big fan of the Eco Start anyway so Im inclined to live with the light and spend the $500-$600 else where.

That being said - I am getting conflicting information here as well as on some forum posts. If anyone has any first hand experience or can shed some light on this I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks !

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was me, id just buy and replace the battery. worst case, you loose out on the cost of the battery. but being that its almost 5 years old, it couldn't hurt to replace anyway.
$140 and a few minutes of your time.

OEM battery part number LR047630. you'll need to look around for an equivalent as OEM is $300+

tacos&beer

Reaction score
if it was me, id just buy and replace the battery. worst case, you loose out on the cost of the battery. but being that its almost 5 years old, it couldn't hurt to replace anyway.
$140 and a few minutes of your time.

OEM battery part number LR047630. you'll need to look around for an equivalent as OEM is $300+

Yeah - I thought about that as an option but my understanding is that when you replace the battery you need to tell the vehicle (via a diagnostic tool) that there is a NEW battery. I don't have such a tool. Thanks for the battery info.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ECO battery has been dead going on 4 years now, on purpose, took off the ground to disable system completely. No issues known to date. Amber light is on. I found a replacement battery with similar specs to OEM for $30. https://www.batterysharks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=STX14-BS_M12-12-200-D I may have to modify terminals etc. I'll report back once finished. $300 for a battery is outrageous!!!!

End goal is to get the system functioning again and work out a way to trick the vehicle into thinking it has a trailer hooked up by placing a small load on the trailer harness. Trailering was reported by another member, @blacktie as a possible solution, suggested by his mechanic, to keep the ECO system off without throwing a light. If it doesn't work, I'll disable the system again and live with the light!

FYI Exide makes the OEM battery. Impossible find state side without LR branding + $300+ price tag http://www.exide.info/spec/ek151.html

I've never had to tell the vehicle about a new battery. I've had mine disconnected many times.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I thought about that as an option but my understanding is that when you replace the battery you need to tell the vehicle (via a diagnostic tool) that there is a NEW battery. I don't have such a tool. Thanks for the battery info.

that is correct. the car will run, but system/modules may be affected if the ecu is not told there is a new battery.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
My ECO battery has been dead going on 4 years now, on purpose, took off the ground to disable system completely. No issues known to date. Amber light is on. I found a replacement battery with similar specs to OEM for $30. https://www.batterysharks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=STX14-BS_M12-12-200-D I may have to modify terminals etc. I'll report back once finished. $300 for a battery is outrageous!!!!

Please do post up how it works out. Seems like it should work. Agreed $300 is nuts for a battery !

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the genuine Exide battery from Europe; ended up being just over $100 landed to the US. Took less than 10 minutes to change, and then a reset with the IID Tool. Saved a bunch compared to going to the dealer!

Cdnrangie

Reaction score
Very relevant topic as this ECO Not Available message just happened to me on my 2016 LR4 in Canada; an amazing vehicle by the way. So I just came back from my local independent garage, and they confirmed that my main battery is 100% OK, but the ECO battery goes to zero volts as soon as any load is applied. So I called my LR dealer who is 30 minutes away and they have the battery for $317.24CDN + 13% taxes. That's much better than I was expecting. I can get an Exide EK151 imported from England for about $100 less, but not 100% sure that it has the grooves on the top and side for the ECO module to be attached or the vent on the back.

Last edited:

tex_jag

Reaction score
I had the ECO battery replaced on my 2016 LR4 as well, I guess the life span is about 4 years for these.
Is there a way to disable the ECO start/stop function permanently ? I am not a big fan of the engine shutting down at color lights.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very relevant topic as this ECO Not Available message just happened to me on my 2016 LR4 in Canada; an amazing vehicle by the way. So I just came back from my local independent garage, and they confirmed that my main battery is 100% OK, but the ECO battery goes to zero volts as soon as any load is applied. So I called my LR dealer who is 30 minutes away and they have the battery for $317.24CDN + 13% taxes. That's much better than I was expecting. I can get an Exide EK151 imported from England for about $100 less, but not 100% sure that it has the grooves on the top and side for the ECO module to be attached or the vent on the back.

I purchased a non-LR EK151 and it fitted perfectly, including the vent on the back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi