Electronics Problem? Draining the Battery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

I've noticed a couple of issues with my 2005 LR3 HSE in regards to the electrical system. I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing these or know of a possible reason/fix.

First Scenario: I walk up to the car remotely unlock it, open a door or the back hatch, close it, remotely lock the car and walk away. What I've noticed is that if I do not put the key in the ignition, the Nav Screen and the (green) radio screen stays on - draining battery power. The Nav Screen has the Land Rover logo on it and the radio screen just has the time. It seems that this stays on for at least 30-45minutes (I didn’t want it to drain the power anymore, so I started the car).

Second Scenario: I put the parking brake on, the red light on the dash turns on to let me know the brake is engaged, I step out, remotely lock the car and walk away. Apparently, the red parking brake light stays on, again - draining battery power. It seems that this stays on for at least 30-45minutes (I didn’t want it to drain the power anymore, so I started the car).

Anyone have any ideas/fixes?

Thanks.

L

lmonterz

Same things on mine

My brand new V6 HSE (20 January 2006) works exactly the same as yours: Nav screen stays on with LR logo and radio screen stays lighted for a while when I lock the door remotely. The same thing with Park-brake ligth: it remains lighted when I remotely lock the doors after I put the key into the ignition.
So I think that these things are not real problems but they are the normal behaviour.

Best Regards,
Luca Monterzino

S

Sodium

checked my LR3 this morning for this problem. After driving, parked, locked, green radio screen light stayed on for a few minutes but evenutally went off. Have you called your dealer about this?

H

Houm_WA

Same here...and, ironically enough, I was scratching my head about this JUST LAST NIGHT !!! Both scenarios...first the nav, then the parking break. Note that for the NAV to shut off, you can just crank the key and do a system check and it should turn off....if that doesn't work, crank the key to the start position, manually turn off the nav (from the settings menu) and then remove the key.

No explanation on how to not have the parking break light turn off quicker, but I really don't think one little red LED is a concern for battery life...hell the alarm indicator probably draws more current !

S

Sodium

I agree with Houm_WA, I dont know if these lights are taking a subtantial toll on the battery, I havent checked the battery type or output performance yet, but I will look into it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else, but I did inquire with LR on a service visit and they said this is normal shutdown procedures for the NAV. Sometimes for me it goes on/off quick, other times (if I unlock the car to get something out) it stays on for a while. FWIW....

A

Amir

same exact thing happenned to me a couple of days ago, and i was wondering about that. didn't have the patience to stay out in cold to see how long the nav (with LR logo) and radio screen remain on. But now i realize that the reason was the same, i hadn't started the car, just unlocked the doors to get something out of it and then locked it. seems to be the normal behavior. but no handbrake light though. and sometimes just the radio screen remains on.

D

deanz

Has anyone timed how long the lights stay on?

When one comes to the car, after it has sat for some time, unlocks, opens then closes a door, then locks it up - without cranking the engine?

Do they go off at all before the next time you unlock and start the car?

Thanks for everyone's input so far...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, eventually. does take a while sometimes.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deanz said:
When one comes to the car, after it has sat for some time, unlocks, opens then closes a door, then locks it up - without cranking the engine?

Do they go off at all before the next time you unlock and start the car?

Thanks for everyone's input so far...
Yes in about 10 min.....just timed mine today :smile:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack