Emergency brake failed... Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the second time in 500 miles, my emergency brake decided to turn on by itself at 80 mph on the highway. The feeling was a gradual increasing vibration that felt like a blown tire. The result is a ruined brake rotor and shoes. luckily, I was near my dealer both times, so I was able to drive straight there. Initially, they suspected clearance issues with the shoes, but now that it's happened again, they want to replace the EPB control module which, of course, is backordered until May. Additionally, it requires alot of the rear end of the truck to be disassembled. It's located up above the spare tire. They put another rotor and shoes on for now, but now I can't trust this truck. I'm thinking of dumping it, which sucks because I really like it. I just can't count on it anymore...

I hope Tata isn't ruining this company. The dealers can't get any vehicles and parts are always on backorder. It took 4 months to get a replacement backup camera for my RR S/C.

Last edited:

zgaspen

Reaction score
posts like this and the jd power results being released also make me a bit nervous about finally buying a LR.....problems seem so random. anyone else have this problem (or others just as serious)? The closest competetion (the GX 460?) hardly stands up to the LR in practical features and design.....

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least I don't think it's widely known issue yet. I've got 1400 miles as of today, so far not much of issue. Two warranty calls so far, one was the tire fault (out of round) and other was software update for the rear power window which is well known issue and TSB out there. Overally I am impressed with quality of this truck and have no regret choosing this over 2010 GX460 or any other SUV out there in this class and price range. I am so glad I made a right choice. Even if I have to go to the dealership once every few month for repair, I can't think of any other SUV I would rather own.

I hope emergency brake is just one isolated incident and quickly fixed by replacing the module. I heard that LR and Jaguar is expriencing significant jump in vehicle sale recently and I believe 2010 models expecially LR4 is really catching on. LR can't keep up with demand so there are parts and vehicle shortage world wide I heard.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to keep the LR4, so I think I will disconnect the emergency brake cables eliminating any possibility of a problem. When they get the control module, I will hook them back up and see what happens. Apparently, this happens on some of the LR3's, but it didn't on my '08 HSE. This was supposed to be my "go to" truck, regardless of weather, projects, load hauling etc. and if I eliminate this EPB problem, I think it can be. Everything else has been fantastic.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a follow up... My dealer was able to get one of these emergency brake modules and put it my LR4 this week. You should see this thing. It's a box about the size of a loaf of bread that bolts up above the spare tire, and it has the E Brake cables all built in. It costs $760!!!... Thank god for warranties! I hope this works out, because I really love this truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV