Engine air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My (late) 2013 has 26k miles and the air filters have not been changed. What is the recommended interval for replacement and what brand of filter do you use? I was about to buy the set of two from Atlantic British but I am not convinced that it's OEM.

Thanks!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is longer than 26k miles. Since there is two filters they seem to get dirtier slower. Remember a dirty filter won't hurt your engine it will eventually limit performance. I think I used the Mann filters last time. Check Rock Auto

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mann filters off Amazon. Replace when dirty enough to block air. If you don't drive on dirt, it can be a while.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I found the maintenance schedule and it seems to suggest 5 years or 60k miles.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Five years if parked, more often if driving.

Actually how long something like an air filter is good for depends upon where the vehicle is driven. If always in a dry dust free cool mountain like environment, then maybe a long time; if in a normal Normal American city where rain is seldom, street washing uncommon, and dust/dirt is normal, then if not yearly, then every two years.

Air filter changes are a little like oil filter changes; until the vehicle stops, it is a matter of judgement.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine every year. Environment is all the difference. I live in the desert and we get dust storms throughout the summer. Small price for fresh clean air for the engine.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the HVAC filter.

The link below shows how to locate and replace the heating AC system inlet air filter in the LR3/D3. I think the LR4 is the same.

Relative to the engine air filters, the HCAC filter can get really dirty fast. I may go two years on the engine air filter, but the HVAC filter is for certain, every year, if not more often. I generally put a new one in every winter, the idea being that it will remain clean for at least six months before it has to "go to work".

The doc provides both Land Rover and Mann part numbers for both the activated carbon and non charcoal filters. I use only the charcoal filters, Land Rover part number, LRO 23977 or HJKR 500020. The Mann number is CUK 2747. The first jpg shows a new charcoal filter and the second, an older removed one.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=30300&pos=7

View attachment 7166

Filter Clean Top Side View IMGP0758.JPG

Filter Dirty Top Side View IMGP0750.JPG

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change mine every year. Environment is all the difference. I live in the desert and we get dust storms throughout the summer. Small price for fresh clean air for the engine.

An old dirty filter provides the same clean air to the engine as a brand spanking new one. Just not as much. With the twin filter system I suspect the point where the filters are actually robbing performance is quite long. I find the cabin filter gets nasty much quicker though. That gets changed quicker.

max2105

Reaction score
I just replaced both air filters at 71K miles. They were slightly dirty and could've gone longer but since I had the new ones, they were replaced.
My 2013 Mini on the other hand, with 45K miles, had an extremely dirty air filter (so much for the service performed at the dealership...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV