Engine cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDiehl

Reaction score
Other than looks does the plastic engine cover have any functional purpose? I'm a little strange but after getting home from a long trip I raise the hood in an effort to minimize heat soak. The plastic cover just seems to trap the heat in even longer.

JD

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the plastic engine cover is just for decoration. On my old Audi allroad with twin turbos, I used to let it idle for a while before turning it off after a long trip. And most allroad owners pulled off and discarded the plastic engine cover that just trapped more heat.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just there to hide the "ugly" guts of the engine, it serves no purpose otherwise. I have been scratching my head at those vanity engine covers for a few years now, everyone seems to be doing it, even manufacturers that one assumes would be proud to show off their "*****" engine. Even Corvettes have them! I doubt removing it would make any difference at all in heat dissipation, but go ahead and remove it if you wish. At least they made that easy on the LR4. On my old 4.4 liter RRS it didn't simply pop off, there were screws and retainers involved. Save the cover for when it's time to trade it in, though.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might do a little to attenuate cabin noise from the engine, but I doubt it.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but I wish the engine compartment stayed cleaner. The cover seems not to help or hurt. I'm guessing most of the dirt and water staining comes through the grill. Not a fan of spraying water inside to clean it, though, because of the many valleys for accumulation. The dust seems to cling enough to resist compressed air.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wipe down all the plastic with 303 Aerospace protectant. That will stop the dust from sticking and the plastic looks good too. Be sure to spray the plastic cowl at the base of the windshield with 303 as well. That may cut down on the fading a little.

JDiehl

Reaction score
I will pull it off and see if there is any difference in engine noise just for fun. My only other thought is it may channel cooler air from the grille over the motor while in motion. Which would still not reduce heat soak after shut down.

JD

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that the cover is designed to channel out the heat or direct it in a certain direction, etc.

OneLondonInSD

Reaction score
YES YOU NEED IT ! First it has heat insulation under the plastic that stops the heat from damaging the hood - second - Its keeps all the dust and dirt/grime of the manifold and the electrical components - Look how dirty it gets. Do you want that grime all over the electrical/parts ? And -- When you go through a drive through car wash the jets water up and under the car that water can reach the hood it also guides the water away from the panels that cover the igniter coils and wires.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV