Engine light came on with Restricted Perfomance Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ed146

Reaction score
2010 LR4 HSE with 28000 miles on it.

Go the engine light on with Restricted Performance warning icon on my dashboard.

I am worried about this. What Should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

ed146

Reaction score
Where is this located and can I do it myself? Not a mechanic here...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I would probably just bring it to the Land Rover dealership - it is still under the factory warranty.

-David

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air flow sensor, Catalytic converter, electrical issues, could be a lot of things. Take it to the dealer. My old 05 LR3 did this a lot. Mostly it was the sensors, but I did have to have the catalytic converter replaced (they have a longer federal warranty) and an exhaust manifold replaced. Thank god for extended warranty.

ed146

Reaction score
I went to a dealer today and was told that camshaft sensor has gone bad and needed to be replaced. Does that sound about right?

And thanks for all the advise!
Dan

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's only one way to find out. Fix it and see if it happens again. The freaking sensors on these cars seem like little gremlins. The camshaft isn't bad, but the sensor is. In my case, my catalytic converter was fine, but the MAS sensor was bad and stuck. They had to replace the entire unit because of a stupid sensor. That's why these trucks are so hard to own outside of warranty.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one can help you till you go get the fault code number and get back to us with them. Leave your MAF alone.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Restricted Performance message this morning, along with the Check Engine light and the red exclamation light, while I was up in Breckenridge, CO. Don't know if the extreme cold overnight weather was a factor or not. We drove home to Denver and all seemed fine, except that the Check Engine light remained yellow on the whole drive (the message went away after a few minutes, along with the red exclamation light). I plugged in my ODB scanner and got code P0018 - which according to http://www.obd-codes.com/p0018 is "Crankshaft Position- Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A)".

Does anyone know what this means? Is this something that needs to be looked at immediately or can I clear the code and seeing if it comes back?

ETA: This is on my 2011 LR4 -- out of warranty at 56k miles. Unfortunately I did not buy an extended warranty. :(

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crank position sensors fail pretty often on other cars. The constant heat cycling damage them. In my old rover, a bad sensor would make the truck inoperable. You had to wait for the sensor to cool down and then the truck would start but the CEL would stay on. A trick to not waiting was to pour water over the sensor to cool off quicker. Replace the sensor and all should be fine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72