Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBeazy

Reaction score
Good evening All,

My 06 LR3 HSE engine light came on and I ran a diagnostic test and the following code displayed with message.

- P0116 (Engine Coolant Temp, Circuit Range/Performance)

I read up on the error and it mentioned that it could be stemming from a bad coolant sensor, so I replaced the ECU sensor, reset the error and after about 20 minutes the engine light was back on.had the error reset. I noticed that there had be a clicking noise that would start when I started the vehicle, but the noise would fade after about 15-20 minutes. I had the service guy at LandRover take a look at it and he noticed that when he disconnected the wire from the fan clutch that the clicking would stop. Once it was reconnected he then noticed that he could stop the fan from spinning by just placing his finger on this with little pressure thought then that the cause was from needing to have the clutch fan replaced because it wasn't properly cooling the engine.

It was recommended that I have the fan clutch replaced and that it was more than likely the reason for the engine light being on. I had the unit replaced yesterday and thought all was good until about the 10th restart...the engine light was back.

I am going to have another diagnostic done to confirm whether or not the same P0116 code is showing up.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

V/r,
Beazy

Last edited:

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the LR3 has two coolant sensors. One at the thermostat and one near the oil filter. Which one is feeding data to the ECU that trip the light?

Seilars

Reaction score
I've had that same code twice on an Audi a4 V6, and it was the coolant temp sensor. The code came with P0117 and P0118, coolant temperature circuit low/high.

That engine also has two coolant sensors - one that sends a signal to the gauge on the dash, and one that sends the signal to the computer, providing info to the engine what kind of fuel/air mix to provide. When coolant is cold, it's a different mix compared to warm coolant obviously. Not sure if it's the same on the LR, but it could be.

Have you noticed any performance issues at all?
The first sensor I replaced made the fan spin all the time, cause it thought the coolant was hot. The second time the sensor failed, performance was horrible as the computer thought the car was hot when it in fact was cold - provided too much gasoline. Could barely start the thing...

Worth replacing the other sensor as they should only be like $10. If that doesn't solve it, check wires.

As for the clicking noise, don't think it's related, but that's just my opinion. Mine does that too, and I figured it can be anything related to the accessory belt. An issue with the cooling would trip the temperature gauge.

NOTE:
Realized now that this post is pretty old, so problem probably resolved?:creep:

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at least with my truck.. i noticed the cooling fan turned itself on when the temp code appeared. i am aware of the truck has two temp sensors, i just dont know enough which feed to ECU, feed to dash, control the cooling fan electric clutch. am going to replace the thermostat next week and see if that improve the situation

spawnywhippet

Reaction score
I replaced my thermostat housing and got a new coolant sensor with that one. In the month since replacing it, I have had a couple more P0116 coolant codes thrown, so I ordered the lower coolant sensor (LR065234) and am in the process of installing it by the oil filter.
However, when I removed the old one, oil came out instead of coolant. Is this correct? The other sensor on the oil cooler is different to this one and not interchangeable.

Gnomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to revive this old thread but I an having trhe same troubles, P0116 and was having P0483 until I replaced the fan. So far it's the sensor in the T-Stat housing, fan and now fan relay.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having this code P0116 now. I changed out the thermostat to no avail but now I guess Im onto sensors. I am also getting a fuel sensor temp hich input fault, I think it is P0183 or P0186.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72