Engine Noise 2006 LR3 HSE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarjar

Reaction score
Ive had my truck since new in 2006, it has around 125k miles on it and has had all the regular services done and the oil change interval is around 6k miles give or take 300 miles. Just recently I noticed my motor making a some noises and I cant figure out if it has done this since new or if I should be concerned about them.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2008 with 154,000 miles sounds just like those sound bites - I noticed the "ticking" (if you want to call it that) caught my ear as soon as the weather warmed up this Spring. I wondered the same thing, if it was a new sound or if I was just hearing it differently but it has always been there - sort of reminded me of a mild version of my previous DII. I can't recall if it was always this way or not either, but everything seems to be running fine and so I am just chalking it up to old age more than anything "wrong".

ambrown31

Reaction score
Mine sounds like that as well. It's a 2005 with 170k on it. It has been that way as long as I can remember.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a socket extension like a stethoscope and put it on the front of the engine (carefully) and hear the ticking it's probably the variable valve timing unit. Mine does it too, it affects your gas mileage more than anything - I'm averaging 12.5 right now with premium 100% gas. The fix is brutal from what I've read, and you need special tools to lock the camshafts in place. Maybe someone else will weigh in with a better solution.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick