Engine oil analysis results on 2010 LR4 V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen many (any?) people posting oil analysis results, and I'm guessing not many owners bother. Given the timing chain issues with the Jaguar AJ133 V8 engine in the 2010-2013 LR4, and the ongoing debate about appropriate oil ratings/certification, I was curious how the dealer oil was working on a normal 10kmi change interval.

See attached PDF for results. Other than a somewhat high iron level, the other wear metals were amazingly - almost shockingly - low. Which is good news of course, assuming the iron level doesn't increase. As expected the dealer (Castrol) oil is indeed low ZDDP, with phosphorus levels around 800 and zinc a bit over 900, both typical for the latest emissions-friendly / economy-friendly oils. The dash of moly was an unexpected bonus though.

Overall the results looked very, very good for 10kmi with one exception: the TBN of 2.4 is quite low considering a fresh quart of make-up oil was added 3kmi previously (at 7kmi into the 10k interval). Adding oil boosts TBN, which means if I had not added a quart, the TBN could have been below the 2.0 point which is getting into the uncomfortable zone. There's no fixed rules on TBN but Accutrack will give a warning with TBN below 2.0 and I think under 1.0 is considered "critical".

Bottom line, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. The TBN measurement indicates that 10kmi is probably the reasonable limit for the change interval, and it would be better to change at 7k or even 5kmi with the dealer oil, even under "normal" operating conditions. I'll probably change at 120k (6k interval) next and after that may do every 5k (125, 130, etc) just so it's easy to tell when the next change is due. I was considering switching to Red Line 5W-20 (which may be more suitable for 10kmi+ intervals) but for the moment I think I'll do a few 5-6kmi intervals with the dealer oil and monitor the results.

We don't put a lot of miles on the LR4 but I plan to get analysis with each change, so I'll try to remember to post the 120kmi analysis results in this thread, probably around late 2018.

:driver:

Attachments

• 2010_LR4_oil_analysis_114kmi.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 113

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
low TBN is interesting. It could be due to fuel dilution with the oil which is my main concern on a DI. I want as clean as oil as possible considering that the PCV system is going to be coating the backside of the intake valves with a nice coating of used oil. Because I am getting Paranoid I have added a step from my usual once a year OCI (About 18k kms or about 11k miles). Now I do filter and oil in the spring and six months later I am swapping oil. I cut my filter apart after a year and very little contaminants trapped so I think I am ok going yearly on the filter. A dirty filter will screen as well as fresh one UNLESS it gets so dirty it goes into bypass. The yearly filter change shows the filter is in no danger of that whatsoever. I am more worried about fuel dilution.

Now using Pennzoil Platinum. LR4 seems happy with it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to install an oil catch filter or whatever it is called to prevent oil coming back into the intake? and still have the right PCV function, in terms of the sensors and pressures?

Might be good to keep the valves cleaner?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad idea. I ran a catch can on an old Volvo turbo.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is TBN an anachronym? I see the report's bottom line says Physical/Chemical base number = 2.4.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBW- There are a couple of catch cans out on the net that say they will fit the LR4, but I haven't heard of anyone trying them.. In a different life, it worked wonders on my 5.7L Grand Cherokee and everyone on the forums were using them..

Mike

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBW- There are a couple of catch cans out on the net that say they will fit the LR4, but I haven't heard of anyone trying them.. In a different life, it worked wonders on my 5.7L Grand Cherokee and everyone on the forums were using them..

Mike
I can't fit that project in at the moment, but I do think it would be a good idea for these engines.

I am at like 56k miles now and I no longer daily drive it, so hopefully it will slow down. Hopefully I can make it a few years before I need to tear it apart and clean those valves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut