Engine oil leak front timing cover gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvictor

Reaction score
Lr4 2015 115000 miles
No issues. No error codes.
On a routine oil and lube change - local mechanic notes small engine oil leak coming from the front cover timing chain gasket. He recommended I talk to the dealer - he is quoting 4600$ although he hasn't checked the car himself
Is this reasonable - any local landrover mechanics in socal area (inland empire} you might recommend
thx!
(Retired my old LR3 back to the dealer no issues after 250000 miles )

AndrewAgh21

Reaction score
We have a shop in North Hollywood but thats a ways drive from you.

You can call us at 818-766-9110. We are called British Cars USA.

You can get a more thorough quote and pricing.

Tell them Andrew referred you.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a timing chain issue that needs attention, or just a small oil leak?

If it is just a small leak, apply some RTV or similar and drive on.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have this issue too let me send a picture of mine and you can tell me if it’s the same issue/area of leaking as yours. If it’s the same issue you should only need new adhesive sealant to seal off the camshafts/ timing cover. shouldn’t be too hard to do myself. Btw always nice to see I’m not alone in California, I’m in the Pasadena area;)

CE8D3BBC-0ADA-4D0F-8E11-CA49B1691162.jpeg

nvictor

Reaction score
Do you have a timing chain issue that needs attention, or just a small oil leak?

If it is just a small leak, apply some RTV or similar and drive on.

Its a small leak that was detected when they changed my oil
NOthing on the parking spot that I park in my drive way
Thanks
Noel

nvictor

Reaction score
Have this issue too let me send a picture of mine and you can tell me if it’s the same issue/area of leaking as yours. If it’s the same issue you should only need new adhesive sealant to seal off the camshafts/ timing cover. shouldn’t be too hard to do myself. Btw always nice to see I’m not alone in California, I’m in the Pasadena area;)

View attachment 10797
Great thanks
I think the place I take it to did take a picture - let me ask him.
Do you need to take the whole thing out to seal it or just the outside.
Thx
Noel

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the exact location of the leak, it MAY be possible to apply some external sealant as a Band-Aid fix to stop the leak, rather than disassembling parts of the engine.

If the leak is so small that there is zero drip when you park overnight, it may not be worth spending thousands of $$$ to fix...

o_O

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut