Engine revs high upon start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Shimmel

Reaction score
My (new to me) 2012 LR4 LUX revs past 2K rpm on the first start of the day. Foot is off the gas pedal. It settles down to around 800 RPM within 15 seconds. It still revs high when starting after it is warmed up, just not as high or for as long. The vehicle has 133K miles, good maintenance including timing chain guides and tensioners replaced. It runs smoothly and their are no other known issues. Does anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My (new to me) 2012 LR4 LUX revs past 2K rpm on the first start of the day. Foot is off the gas pedal. It settles down to around 800 RPM within 15 seconds. It still revs high when starting after it is warmed up, just not as high or for as long. The vehicle has 133K miles, good maintenance including timing chain guides and tensioners replaced. It runs smoothly and their are no other known issues. Does anyone else experience this?

I do. Mine has been revving slightly higher recently (about the same as yours) but it quiets down after about 3-5 seconds. I have 125 on the clock. I was thinking it is likely time for injectors (got the truck at 115k and the PO didn’t do injectors as far as I know).

I’d be interested if anyone knows the cause as well.

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does this too, every now and then. Idles at about 1500-1600 for a few seconds, before settling down. No rhyme or reason for it, and it runs fine otherwise. I am thinking it might be an emissions-related cycle of some kind.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum Leak, probably, if it goes that high. I have the same thing at the moment, replaced a damaged hose, and now am looking at the valve cover to remedy the situation. Mine goes up to 2k or so, won't let me shift out of park until it drops, then it drops down to normal idle after maybe 15 seconds. then sometimes does not do it if warm. Mine threw a vacuum leak code though, and there is a slight hissing under the hood.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is normal, my 2011 does the same thing around 1500rpm and has done this since day one.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not uncommon to have a "high idle" at startup, but if there is any excessively high rpms or surging of any sort, a throttle body cleaning may help solve that issue. Our 08 RR had high and erratic startup idling (idle would lower and then raise up again) and cleaning the throttle body solved it. But it still starts out at 1500-2000rpms on cold statup a lot of the time - which is normal.

https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/throttle-body-on-5-litre-lr4.25949/

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal might be 2k rpm or less. Mine surges up for the same period of time too high for normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72