Engine Running Signal in Trunk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an engine running signal in the rear of the LR4? I'm assuming there's one either for the rear A/C or one of the computers back there. I've got a secondary battery and DC/DC converter, and have been using the switched 12V lighter socket back there as the charging trigger - but every time you open the driver's door at camp it switches back on, draining the vehicle battery. I'm hoping to find a source that only has 12V when the engine itself is running.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Stop opening the doors. Just kidding, that's what I tell the kids.

You can run a simple fused lead from the front fuse panel behind the glove box to the rear or wherever. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any positive signal wire tied to the engine being ON in the rear. Most are door triggered and constant power (tow connectors). I wouldn't tap wires without a properly sized fuse if I found one either, these cpus are so damn sensitive to everything that I couldn't even fathom the thought of an external device crippling my rig.

I use mini fuse taps on the fuse block behind the glove box as a trigger signal for some time now without any issues.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea! I was considering a CAN-bus based engine running detector, but they're pretty pricey. I'll just run a wire from the glovebox to the rear of the car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi