Engine takes forever to warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for an LR4 V8 engine to take 30 mins to move only a quarter from cold on the dash during idle? Upon driving it warms right up into the middle within 2-4 mins. I don't normally warm the lr4 up, i just start it and let it idle down and drive it softly until it warms up which is within 5-10 mins, but one day i started it in 30 degree weather and left it running to find it barely warm after 30 mins of idling. I have many other cars that warm up fully within 10 mins at idle. I do have a ticking fan clutch and i notice the fan is always engaged. Maybe the thermostat is stuck open as well? Any ideas? is this normal for an LR4?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is, by far (at least with the V8) the quickest engine to warm up I have ever owned. It's usually warm inside of 5 minutes, it seems.

ricker

Reaction score
Sounds like a stuck thermostat. It has happened twice on my 1991 RR. Like Quijote, my 2010 LR4 warms up fairly quickly.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, not normal. I wouldn't worry about the fan clutch ticking. Mine has been that way for 3 years and 70k ish miles. Just replace the thermostat and go from there, also maybe check your water pump and coolant level?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your fans always engaged it’s broken.

Mine broke - was always fully engaged and made my gas mileage awful lol.

It didn’t matter much since it was 110+ in Phoenix.... but today at 60 degrees my fan only engaged once, and this was off roading in the sand.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for an LR4 V8 engine to take 30 mins to move only a quarter from cold on the dash during idle? Upon driving it warms right up into the middle within 2-4 mins. I don't normally warm the lr4 up, i just start it and let it idle down and drive it softly until it warms up which is within 5-10 mins, but one day i started it in 30 degree weather and left it running to find it barely warm after 30 mins of idling. I have many other cars that warm up fully within 10 mins at idle. I do have a ticking fan clutch and i notice the fan is always engaged. Maybe the thermostat is stuck open as well? Any ideas? is this normal for an LR4?

this is definitely a stuck thermostat. It’s probably slightly stuck open causing coolant to circulate through the radiator rather than letting it circulate through the engine. It’s not a totally bad thing, you could drive it for a bit but I’d keep it local. Any codes referencing the thermostat?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut