Every Fault Known To Man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It started with my driver's side normal headlight going out. (It would illuminate for a few moments and then go dead. The high beams on both sides worked fine). It turned out to be one of those square HID units, so I watched a video, went down to O'Reilly's, got the right HID unit and planned on replacing it later today. I had taken off the back cover to make sure I had the right part before I bought it from the store. That's when I got a system charging fault. Then, I got a transmission fault. I had to pick up my girls from school and so I just left the vehicle running the entire time until I could get them and the rig back to the house. It seemed to be running just fine. Absolutely normal. I managed to get it back home and was able to get the HID unit replaced and then I got all these faults. In addition, the lights would remain on, no matter what position the light selector was in. I have a video of all the faults going off in succession.

I had an appointment to see the mechanic on the 20th in any event. Not sure what happened. Maybe it all started with a bad grounding wire (just a guess). Now it's all kinds of messed up.

I was waiting for something like this to happen. It's a Land Rover and I have been on pins and needles constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm actually kind of relieved. I figure if I can get this worked out maybe that will be the worst of it.

By the way, the headlight unit was $130. For a headlight.

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that your battery terminal connections are clean and tight. Any idea how old the battery is?

Usually when unrelated systems start to all fail at the same time it’s the battery, however I’m not sure if that’s the case for you.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks f1racer328. I hope it is something like that. In spite of everything, I still love the LR4. I just feel like I want to gut the thing and put a bunch of new stuff inside. It would be one heck of a ride if it was mechanically and electronically sound.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks theegovernor. That was my thought as well. Something was sucking the juice out of the battery. I was also thinking maybe a grounding short in the light wiring. I mean the light would come on for a few moments and then die off. Now I will say that the old normal beam lamp was pretty warm when I removed it and it also was melted or fractured at the glass tip.

It would be an odd coincidence that the light would blow out at the same time as the alternator, but they could be unrelated. I remember replacing an alternator on an old truck I once owned. It wasn't that big of a deal. Of course, the headlamp bulbs were also less than $13 rather than $130.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Clover Rover" headed off to the (im)pound. Actually, it's the local shop.

Attachments

• Tow.jpg
    Tow.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 46

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that your battery terminal connections are clean and tight. Any idea how old the battery is?

Usually when unrelated systems start to all fail at the same time it’s the battery, however I’m not sure if that’s the case for you.
Plus one on this - I've had the exact same issue with a loose battery terminal cable and the dash lit up like an Xmas tree. Also, had a bad battery and had similar symptoms with random unrelated lights on the dash.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is Washington State as bad as the UK for rain??? You'd think these things are excellent in the rain given their heritage! Thinking sunroof drain pipes in particular! Anyway, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick