Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for dealers that give discounts on LR extended warranties? I've been able to shop around and get good deals for other mfgs like Mercedes and Porsche.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still not sure I understand peoples reasoning for some of these warranties. You are placing a bet, you wager that you will need repairs greater than the cost of the warranty. The warranty company is creating a contract (covering certain things) and pricing it in such a way... they are wagering that they will make more money on it, they think they wont have to cover as much cost as you paid for that warranty. They generally have more access to repair rate data and expense (for the things they do cover).

I wager that my money is better placed in my investment account. (I also DIY most things which is pretty critical IMO if you want to own a LR product long term).

I guess some folks can't manage finances in this way and sudden large cost would be really bad, I get that. It's all about the risks. A massive engine failure would suck less with a warranty, but what are the odds?

KAVE

Reaction score
On one hand, I agree. It is a bet on the cost of future expenses being greater than the cost of the warranty. Kind of like the deductible on your car insurance. :)

On the other hand, given the premium the LR service departments charge, I don't believe it's a high risk bet. I've only had my LR4 for 30 days and it's already been in the shop twice for 'check engine' gremlins and InControl bugs. Considering all the parts they have replaced (batteries, sensors, etc.) and 2 full days of labor, had I not had a warranty, I could have easily paid at least half the cost of my extended warranty. We all know cars are getting more and more complex.

The warranty also gives you freedom to investigate/fix things that you might not otherwise do. For example, if I had to pay for the InControl updates, I'm sure it would have cost a few hundred dollars. Now that it's updated and still doesn't reliably work, I would be even more unhappy. :)

Let's be honest - LR4's are not known for their long-term reliability (even the dealers admit they have to work on this). Unfortunately, I'm already experiencing this.

I realize it's a different vehicle, but my CPO warranty on my A6 has paid for itself many times over (axles, bearings, software updates, etc.) and it's supposedly a reliable car.

Keep in mind the warranty can be transferred or cancelled with a pro-rated refund.

Again, not a simple black and white decision. More of personal preference and/or simple piece of mind.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't looking for a debate about whether it makes sense or not. It is an insurance policy just like any other, it has nothing to do with whether a person can "manage their finances".

Still curious where people have found the best pricing.

dzlr3

Reaction score
I would highly recommend a reputed after market warranty on the LR4, I have one from assurant / Land Rover Vehicle Protection Plan purchased from Land Rover of Anaheim hills in CA and it has already paid for itself. Had my heater core, FCAB and water pump replaced so far and still have 3 more years to go till the warranty expires.

kingspointer

Reaction score
MBW doesn't know what he's talking about. My 3 year / 36k mile warranty was only 3k and I've hit it for will over 15k in repairs including two differentials, suspension parts, intake parts, a/c failures and other matters. Did I mention it's an 2007?? Yeah, my 10 y.o. sled has a bumber to number warranty for another year w/ 93k miles on it. My time is too valuable to waste on youtube videos on how to replace tie rod ends.

I"m not worried about the engine failing, I can DIY myself over to the bonnet to check oil and coolant levels like any other car owner does. So, I'm not sure what the 'investment account' remark, or the snide DIY yourself remark was intended to convey, but a service contract (let's use the correct terms, a warranty is a legal term related to the sale of a good) is intended to be a hedge that limits your potential exposure. You're not required to use a LR dealership, any state licensed facility will do.

ALL dealers are selling 3rd party products even if it is branded "LR".

I purchased an Assurant product through USAA. But, the best product on the market, that I am personally aware of is a product sold in the southern us through Louisiana Dealer Services. I've asked every service department I've been in (GM, LR, FMC) from the Florida Panhandle to Mississippi about it and it's never had a critical review.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 4.5 years now and have had only the worn bushings (wear and tear) and the leaky water pump (TSB issued). The truck has been flawless. Why would I bet against my own truck? The extended warranty here is nearly $4k to take the truck from 5yrs to 7yrs coverage. I just can't see it paying for itself.

The other consideration for everyone is the chance you buy the extended warranty, then get involved in an accident that totals your truck. That's money out the window that you never get back. LR knows all of these factors and they make bank on it.

It's up to the individual to make their own decision, but for me I would rather bet on its continued success.

kingspointer

Reaction score
Not true. if the vehicle's title is transferred (like after an accident), you get a prorated refund. again it's a hedge.

dzlr3

Reaction score
I've had my truck for 4.5 years now and have had only the worn bushings (wear and tear) and the leaky water pump (TSB issued). The truck has been flawless. Why would I bet against my own truck? The extended warranty here is nearly $4k to take the truck from 5yrs to 7yrs coverage. I just can't see it paying for itself.

The other consideration for everyone is the chance you buy the extended warranty, then get involved in an accident that totals your truck. That's money out the window that you never get back. LR knows all of these factors and they make bank on it.

It's up to the individual to make their own decision, but for me I would rather bet on its continued success.

CPO warranty extends it for 2 more years, with aftermarket you have the flexibility to extend longer.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, my warranty just ran out yesterday. 4 years and just under 28.5k miles. I kept looking for excuses to bring it in over the past several months but it has been flawless. This includes last month's 1,000 mile family road trip to Canada.

I put almost exactly 7.5k miles each of the first 3 years, and 6k miles last year. It is likely to see 5-6k miles per year going forward, and given that it has been good, I saw no reason to purchase the extended warranty. It should be at around 50k miles after 8 years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA