Faded exterior trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McAnally

Reaction score
Well the title kinda says it all. We are currently in Florida and the plastic trim around the exterior (fenders, bumpers, handles, etc) is faded pretty bad. So far I've been told about 3 products Black WOW, Forever Black, and Showroom New. Has anyone tried any of these products or other and had good results? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
The only thing I have used is Mother's Back-to-Black, but I have had great success with it as long as it is reapplied regularly. The trim on my D2 was pretty badly damaged by the sun and the Back-to-Black was only partially effective, but as long as your trim is in good shape a few generous coats of B2B should to the trick.

Make sure you wipe all the excess off real well with a terry cloth or microfiber towel otherwise it'll streak a bit under the hot sun.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of using Forever Black on my trim, and so far I am happy with the results. I've only done a couple of the trim pieces so far as each piece needs to be washed with the included soap, dried, and taped off to prevent getting FB on the paint. It seems that you need to apply a minimum of three coats to get a nice new looking black. I haven't quite gotten the application technique down, so I am getting some minor streaking. Here is a previous thread discussing various products:

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=3384

McAnally

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Looks like forever black is the more popular choice.

McAnally

Reaction score
One of my buddies on base used the showroom new on his jeep and it looks amazing so I ended up ordering that today. I'll post pictures of the before and after if you guys are interested in seeing the results.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had pretty bad trims on my LR3. Faded and white. The best one I had luck with is Turtle Wax Trim Restorer. Best way to apply is after clean wash. Then clean your trims with 50/50 water alcohol spray. Wipe dry and then apply. In my case I did two coats 30 minutes apart on a sunny day. After second coat, wipe dry with micro fiber and you are good to go.

In Seattle rainy weather it has lasted over 6 weeks without re-applying. Results are great, gives out showroom shine - truly restores like new. Use masking tape around trims to keep it off the paint. Good prep saves a lot of pain cleaning job afterwards. Try it and let us know. Available in any local auto stores or wherever Turtle Wax products are sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NABbskiDs6I

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Forever Black. My application lasted almost a year whereas the others mentioned on here lasted a few months for me.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Forever Black. My application lasted almost a year whereas the others mentioned on here lasted a few months for me.

That's cool!. I wasn't sure if it lasted that long. I will try that one out once the Turtle Wax washes off... Easy to apply?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi