Fair price to change out front upper and lower control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a fair price to have the front upper and lower control arms (new ones) installed? Got a quote for around $1100 bucks, is that a fair price? Looks like labor comes out to be around $356.

Next question.......06 Lr3 knocks over bumps (front control arm bushings from what i can tell), LR3 only has around 50K miles on her. Since i am planning on replacing upper and lower control arms in front, what else should i consider doing while i have it in the shop.....tie rods? Sway bar bushings? etc? What else should i expect to go out in the next 50K miles?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think , that this price is very reasonable, considering...Need for replacing a upper control arms is a rare event , unless this car was wheeling off road a lot.
Changing them would also require a height sensor recalibration.
Lower control arms knock is a common culprit and although does not need a sensors recalibration, it would require a wheel alignment.I would change a inner tie rods at the same time as they are one of the weakest links on this car.
ARB bushings are also a good thing to flip as they made out of marshmallows..or something like that.
i actually had dreaded knock on the back of my car and after replacing a ARB bushings, car suddenly feels like a different vehicle.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think , that this price is very reasonable, considering...Need for replacing a upper control arms is a rare event , unless this car was wheeling off road a lot.
Changing them would also require a height sensor recalibration.
Lower control arms knock is a common culprit and although does not need a sensors recalibration, it would require a wheel alignment.I would change a inner tie rods at the same time as they are one of the weakest links on this car.
ARB bushings are also a good thing to flip as they made out of marshmallows..or something like that.
i actually had dreaded knock on the back of my car and after replacing a ARB bushings, car suddenly feels like a different vehicle.

So from your experience you wouldnt swap out the upper control arms? We are not the first owner of this vehicles but we purchased it with 24k miles on it, and from what i could tell dont think it was off road much if any, it was a corporate lease.

ARB bushings.....what are you talking about here?

I am looking for a list of components that would need to be changed around this time to fix the vibrations and knock in the front suspension. What would your suggestions be, and is atlantic british the best place to buy the parts at?

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARB bushings.....what are you talking about here?

Anti roll bar bushings
Another name of sway bar bushings.

As for the rest , Atlantic British is in many cases a way to go, but many parts cost about the same at my local dealer, such as air compressor dryer, compressor itself,lower control arms etc....
Somebody might chime in soon to correct me , but i don't remember anyone mention an upper control arms bushings failure from just a regular use.I would say , that 90 % bushing replacements is related to dreadful lower control arms and when bought new , they come with new , updated ball joints.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anti roll bar bushings
Another name of sway bar bushings.

As for the rest , Atlantic British is in many cases a way to go, but many parts cost about the same at my local dealer, such as air compressor dryer, compressor itself,lower control arms etc....
Somebody might chime in soon to correct me , but i don't remember anyone mention an upper control arms bushings failure from just a regular use.I would say , that 90 % bushing replacements is related to dreadful lower control arms and when bought new , they come with new , updated ball joints.

Ok so screw the upper control arms, ill do the lowers with two new sway bar bushings (factory ones ok?) also all new tie rods?. Should I go ahead and replace the rear control arms and sway bar bushings as well?

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple check up by your local mechanic would eliminate tie rods, jf they still good, but rear sway bar bushings will go out faster , than you think.I replaced both,front and back ones , since my car was already on the lift and access was easier, than working on it on my driveway,at 60.ooo miles rear ones were knocking badly, so i intended to replace both F and R.
I cannot really tell you , what to change at this moment , since you are the only one that hears , where all the knocking is coming from, but those are the pretty common parts, that go out first in our cars.Cheers

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so screw the upper control arms, ill do the lowers with two new sway bar bushings (factory ones ok?) also all new tie rods?. Should I go ahead and replace the rear control arms and sway bar bushings as well?

Before you dash the upper a-arms off your list. The upper arm bushings were shot on one side of mine at 52k as well as both ball joints. Personally at $80 per upper a-arm it isn't worth the $160 saved versus tearing it all down again in a year to do the uppers. Just my opinion spoken from the mouth of someone that has replaced the bushings myself!!

Trynian

Reaction score
That price is in the range. My buddy had all 4 front done for about $1200.

Upper control arm bushings were shot on mine at 58k, was cheaper to replace the whole control arm. My buddy had his replaced at about 45k. They do ware out and can cause other issues worse then a knock.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not autopartswarehouse

Try lucky8llc.com or landrovermerriamparts.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV