Fault Code U0167-00 (2A) Lost Comms with Vehicle Immobilizer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had a most unfortunate electrical malfunction on my 2007 Land Rover LR3 (70k miles just had 67k service done)-
In Route north for the 4th my LR3, which had been running like a top no issues, began to experience various ECU shutdowns, Ventilation, Audio etc. I was able to clear the Faults but when I stopped and and tried to restart- Nothing-
I looked at the fault codes via the GAP Tool and got many many of them one in particular was scary-
U0167-00 (2A) Lost communication with Vehicle Immobilizer - but the immobilization part worked- vehicle was immobilized on the side of the highway. I was not able to clear many of them which is quite ****** frankly from the GAP Tool-

Again- there had been zero issues before. I was able to get it running and return home. I replaced the battery just out of caution and still nothing- no start, Air Suspension in Access mode, steering angle fault etc.

What in gods name is happening??

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe if you could break down any other events that took place before this immediate event, list and post here as close to chronological order of events. What I mean is:

If you recently applied an update to any ecu modules, etc.via IID, or any other dealings via the IID tool?

Did you try a hard reboot?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below are the hard reset instructions. I have a 16" long length of 16 gauge electrical wire that I keep in my vehicle carry along parts box and a 13mm wrench to unscrew the battery terminals.

Funny things happening to my 3 right after any fixing is sort of normal - new battery, starter - any time the service types disconnect the battery, odd things show up right after departing the service facility.

I think it is because they disconnect the battery prior to the vehicle going to sleep - kind of like pulling the wall power plug on a desk top computer when it is on. Remember, your 3 and 4 are computers first; the go anywhere anytime 4x4 function is secondary.

Hard Reset Instructions

In brief, to start the hard-reset process, open the hood but close all doors and let your 3 go to sleep - no radio display etc and no key in the ignition. This will take a couple of minutes and do not open any doors until the reset is completed. (I find that it is often a good idea to have the driver’s door window rolled down and the key in one’s pocket whenever fooling about the vehicle.)

Also, when I play with a car battery, I remove any rings I have from my fingers, also my watch. Have the car keys in your pocket.

Disconnect the ground battery terminal from the main starting battery.
Disconnect the positive battery terminal from the main starting battery.

The reason for this order is if a wrench or loose battery cable ends grounds to the body, no arcing or other bad things happen.

(I assume that you only have one battery in your 3. If not, disconnect the others as well and leave them disconnected until after all is done.) I have the Traxide dual battery system installed.

Connect the negative cable end to the positive cable end. (NOT to the battery.) To do this, you will need a short length, (a foot or so), of light gauge, (14 to 18 gauge AWG, insulated stranded copper), wire to span between the battery cable ends as there is not enough slack in the positive and negative battery cables for the ends to be able to touch each other.

Hold all together for about a minute or more, (suggest at least two minutes), as you are discharging memory modules within the engine computer and elsewhere. Then it is suggested you then just let all sit disconnected for say ten minutes, (minimum five minutes), prior to commencing to put the battery cable ends back on the battery posts per the following order.

Reattach positive terminal to the main starting battery positive post.

Reattach negative terminal to the main starting battery negative post.

Start engine and hopefully none or at least fewer warning lights and the radio when turned on plays music rather than being silent.
Reset time on the radio - note that the station presets are still there as not everything is erased. Nothing much else needs resetting either.

You can also now connect up the other batteries if you have a multiple battery setup.

This is a link to a thread in disco3 re the hard reset procedure. http://bit.ly/14WXXR1

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic19547.html

This is a link to a thread on Disco3Club re the hard reset procedure.

http://www.disco3club.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3374

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add that I've been advised to wait 15 minutes BEFORE completing the following step:

Connect the negative cable end to the positive cable end. (NOT to the battery.)

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add that I've been advised to wait 15 minutes BEFORE completing the following step:

Connect the negative cable end to the positive cable end. (NOT to the battery.)

Was there any reason given for the time delay? Other than waiting until the 3 when to go to sleep before removing the battery cables, I have not waited much longer re the shorting the positive and negative cable ends together.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....has to do with systems on the MOST network getting cranky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA