Finally changed the LR3 oil myself. Much easier than I expected.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Land Rover dealer near me stopped offering $69 oil changes so it was my turn. Here is a report on my first DIY LR3 oil change. Overall, it was very easy.

Rhino ramps worked great and I felt safe while under the LR3. On my old allroad you could push a button to lock the air suspension, wish the LR3 had the same feature to prevent any surprise movements. I also left a door slightly open which seems to stop suspension movements when I do tire changeovers.

Dealer must have used an air wrench to install the skid plate bolts. And they were all badly rusted. I wire-wheeled off the rust and added a coat of Teflon lube to make the next removal easier. A 5-gallon Home Depot bucket works great to support the skid plate when removing and installing the bolts.

Drain bolt was also put on at max torque, not 18 foot-pounds as it should be. It was also pretty chewed-up. Atlantic British sent me a new drain plug along with the oil filter.

I reached-in to put a strap wrench around the oil filter and saw it spin. It was actually loose. Technician that did the last oil change must have forgotten to tighten it. I was amazed that it was not leaking. I installed the new filter using the “additional ¾ turn past contact” tightening method. Does anybody know what size socket fits over the top of the oil filter and where I can get one?

After using synthetic oil in my cars for the last ten years, I could not find any proof that it should go in the 4.4 LR3 engine. So I bought regular Castrol 5W-30 and it took 7.5 quarts. One near disaster…when you unscrew the cap on the oil bottle, the cap separates, leaving a plastic ring on the bottle. When I was pouring the 3rd quart in, the ring suddenly fell off the bottle neck. I figured valve cover removal was next, but thankfully I was using a funnel and the ring got stuck in the funnel. New rule – remove the cap AND ring on the oil bottle before pouring. Hopefully this advice saves someone else from a similar disaster.

tongagrnlr3

Reaction score
no syn oil huh? my dealer (hornburg hollywood, ca) told me syn oil ONLY!! 130 some bucks for an oil change... what a ****!

well i am about to atempt my first diy oil change as well and as i have syn oil in it i guess i cant change back now... :-(

i havent even loked yet but where is the valve cap on these trucks?? it must be under one of the plastic bits yeah?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, you have to use synthetic oil in the LR4, in fact it's some special blend that you can only buy from a LR dealer.

The 4.4 LR3 engine was designed to run on regular oil, but there is no harm in using synthetic oil. And you can go with a longer change interval.

The oil filler cap is on top of the driver side valve cover, toward the back.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made the switch to the castrol full syn last oil change on the LR3 4.4L not knowing what was used prior. I'm just about at 7500 after another Pittsburgh round trip from JAX and ready to do another oil change. I've been thinking about the ramps for the oil changes in my sloped driveway.... taking the rack off to get in the garage is a pain in the...

PhyrraM

Reaction score
I also do my own oil changes. Luckily, it's a California truck so there are currently no issues with the skid plate removal.

I decided to use Royal Purple synthetic in the OEM weight. I tend to change in the 5000-7500 range.

I put the truck in off-road height and keep a door open and that seems to work well. Once the plates are off access to the filter is as good, or better, than any other vehicle I've ever done.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put mine in off road height and put jack stands under it should the air suspension fail or level. Tried the door thing, mine just keeps freaking out, haha. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV