Finally pulled the trigger on an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Androomantoo

Reaction score
Hello all!

Longtime lurker, first time posting.

After beginning my research way back in the Summer of 2021 I finally pulled the trigger on a very clean Ipanema Sand 2012 LR4 with 112K miles this past weekend. It ticked all the boxes so I flew out from KC to Chicago to buy it and drive it back.

Lots of JLR dealer service history, VERY clean, some typical Illinois rust on the rear frame rails I will be taking care of. On the test drive, it ran flawlessly with no faults that I could find.

On the drive home around 250 miles in it started making a ticking sound. After exhaustive searching I've narrowed it down to the fan clutch, the drive belt tensioner, VVT solenoid(s), or... *gulp* timing chains. Fan clutch and belt tensioner are on order and should be here by the weekend.

I had already budgeted in timing chains (as well as water pump/y-pipe/crossover pipe/thermostat housing etc) so it doesn't bother me too much. That being said I would have rather had more time if it does end up being the chains/tensioners.

Anyway, glad to be here. I used this and many other forums as a valuable research tool to help guide me to the best LR4 I could find. Thank you to all who have contributed!

Androomantoo

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Love the color.
Thanks!

I wasn't 100% on the color but really my only stipulation was I didn't want black. I've had enough black cars and while they're stunning when clean, I don't like the upkeep.

Ipanema Sand has really grown on me over the last few days. Pictures really don't do it justice.

MarcusTriton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I wasn't 100% on the color but really my only stipulation was I didn't want black. I've had enough black cars and while they're stunning when clean, I don't like the upkeep.

Ipanema Sand has really grown on me over the last few days. Pictures really don't do it justice.
Welcome to the forum...Congratulations on your LR4 purchase...I have the same exact LR4 as you do...You picked the right year and model for LR's... Mine with 108k mi., operates Flawlessly...Of course, you have to maintain it. I've changed all the fluids in mine since I've owned it regardless of what the dealer said they did...I'd do the same if I had bought it privately...Good luck on you LR journey...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut