First Suspension Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I just officially joined the club. 29K on an early 2005 HSE. A previous visit to the dealer said they fixed my compressor, but I guess the gremlin is back.

I had been getting suspension fault warnings since Wednesday, but the LR dealer wouldn't take it until today. Starting driving their way this morning and the suspension dropped to access height (or lower) and dinged me that 30 mph is max speed. I bet I couldn't have done 20 because of the bouncing. I'm grateful I hadn't even left the neighborhood.

Anyway, just sharing. I'm going to save gas and miles by getting a piggy-back ride to the dealer.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tow truck showed, I started it up and hit the "up" button trying to get some clearance for the tail pipes. What ensued was a pitiful attempt by the compressor to gain some elevation. It was odd because the rear of the vehicle raised up a bit, but the front didn't budge. I guess all the weight up front combined with a weak compressor or a leak of some sort killed it.

It's a bit odd this is happening now. Most of the posts I"ve read occured in the first 10,000 miles of the vehicle. I'm pretty easy on the truck, but it's seen plenty of off-road action. I guess something just gave out. I hope it's a quick fix.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jp, is this your first new compressor then?

All, wasn't there a re-design at some point in early/mid 2006?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely a new compressor that's needed. Old one is shot. I'm not altogether sure whether my original compressor was replaced a few years ago as a part of a normal 15K check-up. I thought it might have been, but I doubt it.

Anyway, new compressor will be covered under warranty. Brakes and alignment are going to cost me dearly.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always check your paperwork from the 15k if you still have it.

I was asking because I recently had my compressor changed too. This is an interesting story (I think). Years ago I had a suspension failure, but it was the control unit that was bad (some wiring had got wet) so they fixed it but I don't think they replaced the compressor (I should check MY paperwork, huh?) and then recently I'd asked the dealer to check out various symptoms as sort of a "last check-up" before 50k. In the process, they claimed that the suspension failed and so they replaced the compressor. I was like "huh?" who's ever heard of that? Usually you have all these squeaks and rattles and can never duplicate at the dealer....here was a case where I'd been off-road and no problems and up and down and into the parking garage and all that and NOTHING. ...and then the dealer is dinkin' around and it fails? I almost didn't even believe them, but who cares I got a new compressor for free.

....I think I made a short story long, but what I'm saying is that the compressor would also be MY first new one. I think the original compressors in MY05 were bound to go at some point. Hopefully the fresh ones are good.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...anyone know if a compressor "came with" the BO34 suspension enhancement package?

strutmastr

Reaction score
It sounds like the Air compressor is tired. When your dealing with air bags there seems to be alot of trouble that comes with it. The bag can get cracks that cause leaks. This can destroy your compressor. When this happens the compressor is basically trying to blow up a balloon with a hole in it. Because of this people normally diagnose it as a problem with the air bag or just the compressor when it is normally both.The only true way to fix it is to get a Conversion Kit. We make Powder coated AMERICAN MADE STEEL coil springs!!! The kit also comes with a lifetime warranty. At Strut Masters we can help you make the right choice the first time and we will make sure this is the last time you have to worry about that part of the car.

http://www.strutmasters.com/http://www.strutmasters.com/land-rover-suspension-parts-s/21.htm

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey strutmastr, I think that the fine people on this site will actually let you BUY ad space...

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only true way to fix it is to get a Conversion Kit.

I don't know about coils being the "only true way" to fix broken air suspensions (buy a Jeep then, that's another way to fix them), but the chick that pops up on the web site looks pretty hot. :flowers:

Hatmandew

Reaction score
Just speaking my mind on this post (yet old post). I have a 2006 RRSS. The way this truck handles is because of the air suspension! Who in thier right mind would spend this kind of money on a truck and then convert to springs? I will either pay to fix my suspension the right way or sell the truck and buy a jeep with springs. (ok, off my soap box now)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72