For those of you thinking about the upcoming winter...

Discussion in 'LR4' started by PaulLR3, Sep 21, 2018.

1. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

Just ordered a set of Nokian Hakka SUV R3 winter tires in 255-55-19. Local Nokian dealer said that they just arrived at the Nokian distributor warehouse in VT. Only 96 R3 tires allocated to New England in that size so if you need a set, order them soon.

Also, I just had the dealer replace the adhesive rubber molding inside both rear wheel wells. Mine was falling off and full of sand & salt from last winter. Cost for molding & labor was $140.

2. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

What did you pay?

3. PaulLR3

I think the Nokians were $203 per tire.

4. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

What are you talking about? I can't think of anything that is simply a rubber molding that is held on by adhesive. If you mean the piece that covers the gap at the front 1/2 of the outside edge, that is basically press fit and it rubber coated metal not meant to be held by adhesive. It's what closes the fender liner to body metal gap along that edge.

5. PaulLR3

It's the piece of rubber on the front half of the rear wheel wells. On both sides mine were partially hanging off. Not sure how they are attached, but I still think it has to be some sort of adhesive. Water and dirt got between the rubber and metal, causing the molding to fall off. I don't have a "before" picture but here is the "after" with new molding installed:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

Thats weird on the liner. Anyhow up here in Canuckistan a set of Nokians installed is $1600 CAN. The Blizzak DM-V2 were $920 installed. Needless to say I went with the Bridgestones. The Nokians are good but pricey up here.

7. roverman

roverman Full Access Member

Mine are warping but haven't fallen off yet. Did you go to dealer for it? Do you happen to have a part number? Thanks

8. PaulLR3

9. jwest

jwest Full Access Member

I am actually thinking of doing the Nokian LT2 in 275/65 or 275/70-18 non-studded. If they made a 265/70 i'd do that but I think the Nokian tire is worth the slightly less than ideal width.

10. catman

catman Full Access Member

Just found the Nokian SUV R3 last night! Was curious about them for my wife's 08 RR, which is 255/55/19. She needs new tires and I was contemplating Winter tires for a change - not a lot of major snow issues here in SE PA, but when it does hit "just right" (heavy snow mid-day after everyone is at work) I always wish she had better tires than the Duratracs, which are not great snow tires.

I am torn on investing in different wheels for each set of tires versus removing them and remounting them later on the same wheels. Anyone not using dedicated wheels experience sidewall/bead "damage" from unmounting and mounting tires each winter?

Let us know your thoughts on the R3 soon if there are that few tires in stock!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018