Found a LR4 w/HD package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If rock climbing or going on trails where one rear wheel is in the air, then a rear locker is probably necessary. But from my experience, an LR4 without the rear locker is just as capable in deep snow and sand. I've never noticed a difference between our 2 LR4's, one with a rear locker and one without.

But a friend of mine has a 2015 LR4 without the rear locker and without low gear and he frequently gets stuck on the beach. So maybe having low gear is more important than a rear locker. All 2013's and older have low gear. And all 2014's and newer with the HD pack get low gear and a rear locker.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 2011 LR4 without locker and now have 2013 with a locker. All 2010-2013 had transfer case.
With or without rear locker , but with transfer case they are plenty capable.
With rear locker your car does not have to use brakes to maintain traction and prevent rear wheel from spinning.
Climbing long or steep hills you may get your brakes to overheat without a locker. But this will not be a problem for 95% of people.
Transfer case is a must is
a must if off roading.
I would not but LR4 without a transfer case / locker ( 2014 up)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV