Front axle grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents - I have recently been experiencing an intermittent grinding noise coming from the front axle. It sounds metallic and almost like really squeaky brakes and also like something is loose and metal is coming into contact with metal. It was prominent for a short ride yesterday, but today while it was still there while backing out if the drive, it was gone by the time I had gone a tenth of a mile down the road. It didn't come back on my way home about 5 miles away. Ideas?

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
how many miles? might be worth getting the fluid changed even though if only calls for it at 75k.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the front fluid is called for change at 150k, but yeah, do it every 75.
Usual cause of an intermitent noise is the hub bearing being loose, turning the wheel can somewhat reseat the bearing, and the noise will go away. Check it before you drive much more, as complete failure is a very bad thing.
Jack up the front wheels, or one at a time, and check for wheel play with your hands at 12 and 6. Any play outside of just tire sidewall flex is bad.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also when you say fluid change, what are you talking about specifically?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front differential. I recommend changing it, along with the rear and transfer case at or before 75k miles. If you haven't already, it's time.

If you had the 75k service done to spec, it includes the t-case and the rear, if it is locking.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel bearings of both my front wheels (a 2006 RRS) went bad, driver's side at about 100K miles and passenger at 175K miles. I do off-road fairly regularly, so that may have contributed. When they went out, they sounded just the way you described them - slight grinding and a squeal, like brakes - and the noise was intermittent at first. I think on the LR3, as well as the Sport, for the front axle the whole wheel hub needs to be replaced it that's the problem, you can't pack new bearings in it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV