Front brakes seizing (again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has become a chronic problem with my 2016 that has about 22k miles..

The front calipers sometimes don’t release and I begin to smell them thru the vents.

The rotors get scorching hot.

The first time it happened was a few thousand mikes ago and my local indie took them apart, lubed and they worked fine. About a thousand miles later same thing.

For the third time it happened a day ago. I had just done a round trip to NYC (about 700 mi RT) with very poor mileage on the return.

Then the next day on a local run I smelled them and the left fron rotor was very hot, the others normal.

This can’t be normal-there’s got to be a reason why this happens. It doesn’t make sense that normal on-road driving results in stuck calipers.

Could this be a computer problem?

Any ideas?

Dealer is 2 hrs away. Is this a dealer/warranty problem because of some defect?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket wheels? Tires balanced? Any other non factory parts?

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20” wheels, both sets OEM. it first happened with my factory tires on factory rims. Then I changed to snows on OEM rims and it kept happening.
Shop is local best eurocar guy. Wheels balanced.

ZR1Gerhardt

Reaction score
Buy a rebuild kit for the calipers, pretty cheap, and spend an afternoon cleaning and rebuilding them. New pistons, pins and lube may help.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything. On warranty so let the dealer deal with it.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will having had my indie clean them up void the warranty?
Are brakes even covered under warranty?
My indie cleaned and lubed the pins twice. There’s gotta be something else wrong

Dealer’s two hours away. I don’t dare drive it down

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not have let the indie touch them. Pad/rotor wear is one thing. Brakes binding is not wear. That should have been/be fixed under warranty by dealer, IMO.

Out of warranty is another situation. I have 33k miles and my pins are super smooth. Not sure what is going on with yours, but I'd make sure the whole set is completely clean and apply proper lubricant (factory or highest quality equivalent).

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARe we talikng calipers seizing on the pins (no lateral float) or the actual caliper pistons pushing out and then not retracting? The super hot temps point me to the latter.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all.

It got taken away this AM to the Bedford MA dealer.

Lookin back on my records, they replaced left front rotor a year and a half ago. Six months later the seizing started. Same wheel.

LR roadside assistance sent it there cuz they were closest.

I’ve had other issues with Bedford but we’ll see what happens this this time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut