Frontrunner Roof Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone using the shorter version of the Frontrunner roof rack II?
If so I am wondering if you are happy with it. I'm thinking of one for my MTB, kayak, camping stuff, Gas Cans and generator etc.

Thanks
Mike

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the longer one. What is driving you towards the short version?

I carry kayaks/canoes and often a tandem bicycle on mine. The long version gives a nice long support and the front of it is somewhat accessible from the front of the truck, I'm not sure if the shorter version might be more difficult to reach.

I've carried a lot of other stuff where the full length was useful. A king size mattress this weekend, plenty of lumber, etc.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't feel the extra length is worth the premium, and I'd like the sunroof to be un obstructed as well (silly i know) . I'm glad you have had a good experience with them though. I'll probably be ordering one in the next few weeks, along with a ladder and a double jerry can system.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
machmike, I'm going through the same exact thing. Im pretty much sold on the Frontrunner for my uses but haven't decided on the full or 3/4. The 3/4 would be plenty of space for my needs and I know my wife would like the open view on the sunroof. Im wondering also if there would be wind noise difference between the two. If you do order and install soon please update this thread, I'm interested in what direction you go.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look like they are very high quality! I like that they are Thule and Yakima compatible as well. I don't like the look, but id bet they are some of the finest built racks in this category.

Cgio

Reaction score
I have the short. Looks great. Buy. Like the prospeed in UK more, but like supporting Front Runner--good to have them in CA, and a great store. Nice folk too.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the full length FR rack on my last LR4 and I thought it was very purposeful if you buy all their accessories too. I didn't like the aesthetics and the wind noise is very loud no matter how you adjust the wind fairing. I took it on many trips and it is very strong and relatively lightweight especially if you remove unused slats.

fishjump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started out with the 3/4 length, and then added the pieces to make it a full length because I needed more length/room. I also replaced the wind deflector with their under-mount light bar. Had to add a full length of rubber door stop, between the top of the light and rack, and that dealt with the wind noise issue.

Obviously, I can now change between either size rack (with a certain amount of labor) if I need too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slack