Fuel gauge AND suspension fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brendenv

Reaction score
Hey everybody. Recently had something weird start to happen. Started my 2010 LR4 today, all was well. After a few seconds, my fuel gauge went blank and got a low fuel warning. Seconds before it said 229 miles to empty which is correct. THEN after a few more seconds, I got a suspension fault and only normal height was allowed. I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything relating to both of these popping up together. The fuel gauge works so it seems like a computer issue?

The other day I removed the driver seat to repair stitching on the bottom part. The only thing unplugged was the electronics for the seat. I unplugged the battery for a minute then hooked it back up and all was well again…for a few seconds.

Im hoping for an answer other than “hook it up to a reader.” I have RSW software that supposedly works for the LR4 but I don’t have the OBD2 reader for it. Any guidance is appreciated.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old is your battery?

You mentioned that you disconnected it for some other work too, I would make sure that the connection is solid.

These problems sound unrelated so hopefully it’s a simple issue like a bad connection or weak battery.

Brendenv

Reaction score
I’ll check the date on it. I haven’t replaced it but it appears semi new. The only connections I removed were under the driver seat that controlled the power seat and seat warmer.

Brendenv

Reaction score
About a week ago I took it through some water that was deeper than expected. Engine ran rough after but it cleared up overnight. No issues for a week after that.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a week ago I took it through some water that was deeper than expected. Engine ran rough after but it cleared up overnight. No issues for a week after that.
Now that you’ve said this I’d wager something got wet that shouldn’t have.

How deep are we talking? I know you’re not looking for the “Get a IID Tool” answer, but that might help you a lot.

I hit some standing water pretty fast a while ago and had a TPMS fault that went away on its own about a day later.

I’m sure someone else here can give you a better answer, but any modern vehicle is hard to troubleshoot electronic wise.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the fuel gauge sending unit might run under that drivers seat as well. I don’t see a connector there, but it looks like the wiring loom runs through there on its way to the junction box. I can’t see it well enough on the connector diagram to be sure, but it’s possible something was disturbed when you worked on the seat.

I think your best bet is to start with a scan tool and hope there is a code that can point you in the right direction. If you don’t want to buy an LR specific tool, at least try a generic OBD tool. You can buy one for $20 at walmart, or just run up to Autozone or O’Reilly’s and have them scan it for free.

If no codes, time to pull the wiring diagrams and start tracing back. The problem could be between the instrument panel and the junction box, or between the junction box and fuel gauge sending unit.

Brendenv

Reaction score
Water was about to the top of my tires.

I’ve got the RSW software. The OBD2 reader is coming tomorrow so I can use the software to check for codes.

Now I’ve been thinking about water issues and I remember that I recently discovered my passenger floorboard was wet. I’m gonna check the JCB and under the carpet for corrosion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick