FYI fan relay went bad at 98k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AC started blowing warm at stops. Thought it was the fan clutch. Turned out it was just the relay. Put the new fan in anyway. But check the relay because it didn’t throw any codes!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the fan relay or the ac compressor relay? I didn’t know cooling fan failure would cause the ac to blow warm air, unless maybe the compressor was overheating and shutting off because the cooling fan wasn’t working.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the fan relay or the ac compressor relay? I didn’t know cooling fan failure would cause the ac to blow warm air, unless maybe the compressor was overheating and shutting off because the cooling fan wasn’t working.
Fan relay. Pull up to stoplight, no fan, condenser gets hot , compressor gets hot, kicks on and off to no avail, blows hot. We switched the fan and AC relays to see if it would kick on with a new one. It did.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would think it would have to, when he's stopped. No airflow across the condenser coil = can't dump heat it pulls out of the evaporator = very quickly no temperature differential across the evap coil.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on this issue. Maybe same or just sadly parallel. I started getting errors p0528-00 and p0483-36 and the new viscous fan stopped functioning. Thus giving me the same error again. I went through all the relays with my relay checker and they were fine.
Long story short it was corrosion in the car Side of the viscous fan wiring harness. I put dielectric grease on the pins and in the female side and low and behold it started working again shortly thereafter.
The manual I have says as much but I tested it for power and it check out. And the pins looked fine. But of course I could not see into the car side of the harness. And I think the modulation voltage is low to control the fan so it needs a good connection. DB0157DB-3DE0-4EBB-8224-B3BD850B1776.jpeg
So I ran around a bunch of other possible things for days. But should have properly cleaned and greased that harness first. More tuition payment for me.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, sadly...very sadly...this post needs another update. A day after my great corrosion breakthrough, the fan stopped working again. I could get it to start turning only if i was going uphill steeply. flat or downhill it would stop. I was stuck on the idea of an electrical short and could not figure out why a physical movement would cause the short. And why it was so intermittent around town. I gave up and took it to a land rover expert (indy). He fixed it totally in two days. New motor mounts. both were blown. They allowed the engine to sink down and for the fan to rest on the shroud, causing it to burn out. When i went up hill or over a big bump it would come off the shroud and start spinning. burned out the fan, and an EJB fuse for the ECM. Got new fan, fuse, engine mounts, and some wiring done for $2500. https://youtu.be/Bq_Q03tBFD4
sucks, but worth it to have a car that doesn't overheat...

Attachments

• IMG_0737.jpeg
    IMG_0737.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0740.PNG
    IMG_0740.PNG
    192.7 KB · Views: 36

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. How much would just the motor mounts have been?

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. How much would just the motor mounts have been?
Well I think you could get it done for cheap if you bought after market parts and installed them yourself. Maybe $300-400 diy. Maybe $600 at a cheaper Indy. Maybe $1500 -2k at a dealer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV