gap tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Apologies if this has been covered already...

Just ordered the gap tool, currently running the stock 19 inch wheels with Good year AT's (255/55/19) on a 2012 LR4 with HD.
What would be the recommended (safe) changes to make to the suspension height for day to day use as well as an off road setting I would enable periodically when off road.
Any other suggestions to tinker with?

This summer, after wearing a bit more life out of my current tires, I plan to, FINALY, ditch the wheels for comps or those new dakkars in 18 and get bfgs. My assumption is 265/65/18 would be a good choice without needing to do any cutting to fit and also still stash the fifth wheel under the car (after removing those heat guards).

Anyways, thanks for the advice on the gap tool and any useful settings.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, stock height is the "best" height for day-to-day. You don't need a lift to run 265/65/18 tires. You can lift it when driving off road using the GAP tool so that it doesn't lower when you go over 20mph.

If you want to go taller than stock for day-to-day, fine. But you'll need an alignment and accept the fact that it could lead to premature wear of axles, will make the vehicle less safe, etc.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, stock height is the "best" height for day-to-day. You don't need a lift to run 265/65/18 tires. You can lift it when driving off road using the GAP tool so that it doesn't lower when you go over 20mph.

If you want to go taller than stock for day-to-day, fine. But you'll need an alignment and accept the fact that it could lead to premature wear of axles, will make the vehicle less safe, etc.
Thats what I thought, just wanted to double check. What setting would you recommend for when off road?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you are doing. I think most go around 50mm more than stock.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize you just ordered the Gap tool, but based on what you described (day to day change and off-road changes) the Llams controller may suit you better. You can just dial things up or down at any time based on your needs. I know a bunch of people on the forum use it if you have questions. Gap tool calculate a base value for your specific LR and and then calculate a maximum value that it can raise or lower the vehicle. On my LR3, if I used the GAP to go more than 20mm below access height I get a beep (I assume I am hittting the bump stops) and it goes into extended height mode.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Apologies if this has been covered already...

Just ordered the gap tool, currently running the stock 19 inch wheels with Good year AT's (255/55/19) on a 2012 LR4 with HD.
What would be the recommended (safe) changes to make to the suspension height for day to day use as well as an off road setting I would enable periodically when off road.
Any other suggestions to tinker with?

This summer, after wearing a bit more life out of my current tires, I plan to, FINALY, ditch the wheels for comps or those new dakkars in 18 and get bfgs. My assumption is 265/65/18 would be a good choice without needing to do any cutting to fit and also still stash the fifth wheel under the car (after removing those heat guards).

Anyways, thanks for the advice on the gap tool and any useful settings.

I raise mine 20mm or so for day to day, because I like the look of the higher stance with the BFGs. I only have the 265/60, I think the 265/65 definitely look to tight with stock height. I've never had an alignment and I wouldn't worry much about it damaging anything. The Range Rover suspension goes down 1.5" or something on the highway, it's not like that wears out tires or damages parts.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I raise mine 20mm or so for day to day, because I like the look of the higher stance with the BFGs. I only have the 265/60, I think the 265/65 definitely look to tight with stock height. I've never had an alignment and I wouldn't worry much about it damaging anything. The Range Rover suspension goes down 1.5" or something on the highway, it's not like that wears out tires or damages parts.

The Range Rover does't lower itself 1.5". It's more like 10mm.

20mm is probably enough to throw it out of alignment. It's up to you if the drawbacks are worth the benefit of looking better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA