Gas pedal- loss of power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsense

Reaction score
Guys, I need your help. Last night while driving in the highway speed of 70, I heard a grinding sound from the engine area. this is so sudden. And I noticed that every time I pressed on the gas pedal, it makes that sound. Like its compensating for power.

When I got home, I put it in park, how do I explain this - I stepped on the gas pedal and the rev wont go up.. only half way then during pressing the pedal then the engine will rev up.
Are the pulleys on its way out?

Any thoughts? Thank you.

2008 LR3 HSE. 70,000 miles.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...are you sure it was a "grinding" noise and couldn't be a "groaning" noise? Also are you certain it was from the engine? Could it be from your front differential? ...and maybe the loss of power was more perceived than actual.

I don't know how to explain the gas pedal while in park issue. I'm not sure I understand the symptoms but I know this is the first I've heard of any such behavior.

nsense

Reaction score
...are you sure it was a "grinding" noise and couldn't be a "groaning" noise? Also are you certain it was from the engine? Could it be from your front differential? ...and maybe the loss of power was more perceived than actual.

I don't know how to explain the gas pedal while in park issue. I'm not sure I understand the symptoms but I know this is the first I've heard of any such behavior.

Sounds like a groaning noise. I had my front diff fluids changed 3 months ago. I called my indy tech and he said sounds like engine pulley is the culprit. But he doesnt understand why I have to step on the gas pedal halfway through to get the engine to rev up. Will drop off the truck at lunch time.

Thanks for your input bro.

nsense

Reaction score
Drop off the truck and he drove it with me. He said sounds like front diff. We both felt the vibration on the floor. They're going to open it up and will let me know in a couple of hours what my $$ damage is.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth....I changed my diff fluid and still had to change 'em both a few months after that.

Front diffs aren't as expensive as rear ones, at least...well, I don't think they are. They are less expensive than the locking rear diffs, by far...I know that.

nsense

Reaction score
For what it's worth....I changed my diff fluid and still had to change 'em both a few months after that.

Front diffs aren't as expensive as rear ones, at least...well, I don't think they are. They are less expensive than the locking rear diffs, by far...I know that.

Hey bud. Can you point me in the right direction? Looks like my front diff is toast. Need to get one. I called the dealer and they have a refurb one for $1,600 incl core charge $400. I give them my old one then they will credit my $400. Thanks!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm following this with interest as it sounded to me like two separate problems from your description. What did they say about the half press throttle at standstill thing?
Sorry to hear about the diffs.

nsense

Reaction score
They're addressing the front diffs first. They're hoping the gas pedal issue is related to that. If not, then they're checking something else I forgot. Ill call them tomorrow and ask what their idea on it. Let ya know
Not a lot of remanufactured front diff assembly out there, I even called every Rover part seller I can google, but my indy found one for $800 and is arriving Friday. Labor is $412. $1,200 total for this one.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I wonder what the price difference is between the refurb and a new one. Might be worth the extra $.

I changed mine and got new ones...and then about 1500 miles later I changed the fluid in the new diffs, just as an extra measure of precaution; to get any metal shavings (from new gears seating) out of the housings.

nsense

Reaction score
Hmmm....I wonder what the price difference is between the refurb and a new one. Might be worth the extra $.

I changed mine and got new ones...and then about 1500 miles later I changed the fluid in the new diffs, just as an extra measure of precaution; to get any metal shavings (from new gears seating) out of the housings.

Brand new is $2,700 per dealer. And they dont have anything in stock. Might take awhile to arrive.
My indy is going to change my front and rear diff fluids and the transfer case fluids no additional charges. Im using Mobil 1 LS 75W90.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72