Gas tank fuel capacity.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally got sick and tired of staring at it and decided to make this post about it so here is my issue. I noticed about 10k miles ago that when I would fill up my LR4 that I was only getting 250 miles on a full tank. It’s quite inconsistent but it seems to have gotten worse now only getting 225 miles. It used to get 270-320 miles on a full tank and now no matter how many times I top it off I can’t get over 250. (Keep in mind this is what the fuel gauge reads I haven’t calculated it yet to see if I’m really only getting that many.) has this happen to them and any tips on solving this problem? Just for extra information I am past due on spark plugs by 8k miles. My current mileage is 113k.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do your LTFTs for each bank look like? Could be a couple of things, but I would check to see if the computer is adding more fuel first.

To be honest though, I would think that if it was severe enough to drop MPG that much, then it would set a DTC. Are any codes pending?

So I finally got sick and tired of staring at it and decided to make this post about it so here is my issue. I noticed about 10k miles ago that when I would fill up my LR4 that I was only getting 250 miles on a full tank. It’s quite inconsistent but it seems to have gotten worse now only getting 225 miles. It used to get 270-320 miles on a full tank and now no matter how many times I top it off I can’t get over 250. (Keep in mind this is what the fuel gauge reads I haven’t calculated it yet to see if I’m really only getting that many.) has this happen to them and any tips on solving this problem? Just for extra information I am past due on spark plugs by 8k miles. My current mileage is 113k.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to include that, no codes no CEL or anything. How would I check the long term fuel trim for each bank?

What do your LTFTs for each bank look like? Could be a couple of things, but I would check to see if the computer is adding more fuel first.

To be honest though, I would think that if it was severe enough to drop MPG that much, then it would set a DTC. Are any codes pending?

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 16 (SCV6) it ranges from 225+ to 320+ at full tank depending on type/style of driving (city/freeways, Miss Daisy/Vin Diesel, idling durations, etc) with 16.7k on the odo so far.

I think the displayed range can also be affected by the frequency of the dominant driving style as well as when (in-relation to the driving style) I have reset the trip counter.

So lets say if I have been mostly cruising on the freeways last few days driving ms daisy style, and if I have reset the counter a few days ago right at the beginning of my freeway trips, the range is going to easily show above 320 for sure.

But if all I have been doing is sporadic short runs with warm up idling times etc, the range drops to two hundreds no matter how light my right foot is, and I am super gentle to this truck when i do short runs/city driving.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is would make a little sense too. I started noticing it wasn’t getting as much miles as it used to when I started putting the trip computer on auto instead of never clearing it off of trip A. I’ll switch it back and let you guys know when I start driving the car again. (I’m currently painting the grilles gloss back so I am going to wait till Monday for the paint to fully harden after I apply the coats tomorrow.)

On my 16 (SCV6) it ranges from 225+ to 320+ at full tank depending on type/style of driving (city/freeways, Miss Daisy/Vin Diesel, idling durations, etc) with 16.7k on the odo so far.

I think the displayed range can also be affected by the frequency of the dominant driving style as well as when (in-relation to the driving style) I have reset the trip counter.

So lets say if I have been mostly cruising on the freeways last few days driving ms daisy style, and if I have reset the counter a few days ago right at the beginning of my freeway trips, the range is going to easily show above 320 for sure.

But if all I have been doing is sporadic short runs with warm up idling times etc, the range drops to two hundreds no matter how light my right foot is, and I am super gentle to this truck when i do short runs/city driving.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm how much are you filling up with? Is your gauge reading full?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you calculated your MPG?
dont go by the dash. not to say its wrong, but its always good to double check if your trying to chase down a possible problem.

rough math....
you say you fill up with 19-21 gallons. ill average at 20 gallons.
250-225 range (per computer). ill use the average of 238 mile range. since i hope you fill up before you run out of gas, ill subtract about 30 miles from the range as the actual miles traveled.

that means your getting 208/20 = 10.4 MPG. seems low.

I drive a short 7 miles commute each way to work, and around town. I get 15.5mpg per the computer. i just took a road trip and average 20mpg. my computer says my range is about 350-375 miles per tank.

next time you fill up (actually 2 fill ups), calculate your mpg the old school way. i certainly hope and assume you know how, but just in case.....
1. fill up, stop at the click. do not top off/overfill.
2. note the mileage on the odometer.
3. drive for at least half a tank under normal conditions.
4. fill up. again, stopping at the click. note how many gallons you added.
5. note the mileage on the odometer.

subtract the miles in step 2 from step 5.
divide that number by the gallons from step 4.

also, after you calculate your actual MPG (you dont want to add any variable in the mean time), use BG 44K. its is a excellent fuel system cleaner...not just snake oil. add 1 bottle per tank, once a year. add it just before fill up. its actually part of the Land rover service schedule that im sure gets overlooked by most.
https://www.amazon.com/BG-44K-Fuel-System-Cleaner/dp/B07GT8RN6Z

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot if you have a GAP tool or not, but under live values, full list, select LTFT bank one and LTFT bank two. Bank one is passenger and two is driver. This will help you narrow down the affected side.

Forgot to include that, no codes no CEL or anything. How would I check the long term fuel trim for each bank?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA