Gasoline to use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharpeirescue

Reaction score
Hi I'm a novice car owner and i have a 2014 supercharged LR4 and i'm wondering as i see that it is recommended to use premium 93 octane gas but off the record is it really required? is 87octane or 89 octane okay to use?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Especially a supercharged motor, you want 91 octane and up. If you're in a state that offers 93, get it. Forced air pretty much requires a higher octane to reduce pinging or knocking, because it's tuned for it from factory. Running a lower octane could damage your engine and if you have extended warranty, it'll immediately void it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even in the V8 engine, that long video that was posted somewhere on here (seems like a master mechanic giving a Ted Talk to other mechanics on the ins and outs of the 5.0 V8) stated that he sees a lot of problems when people use lower octane.

Bottom line is you own a premium vehicle. Don't cheap out on gas.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a novice car owner and i have a 2014 supercharged LR4 and i'm wondering as i see that it is recommended to use premium 93 octane gas but off the record is it really required? is 87octane or 89 octane okay to use?
She drinks premium and lots of it.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, even a naturally aspirated AJ133 5.0 V8 really needs high octane (91 minimum) due to the high compression ratio. The ECU can ****** timing to a degree to try and prevent pre-ignition, but these really are performance engines and they need highest octane available (as well as better detergents in said fuels).

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor puts regular gas, any random brand, in her LR4 and her check engine light comes on frequently. I have always used top tier premium gas and never had my check engine light come on. (Frantically looking for wood to knock on) Not sure if cheap low octane gas triggers the check engine light episodes, but I would suspect so.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
My neighbor puts regular gas, any random brand, in her LR4 and her check engine light comes on frequently. I have always used top tier premium gas and never had my check engine light come on. (Frantically looking for wood to knock on) Not sure if cheap low octane gas triggers the check engine light episodes, but I would suspect so.
I'm willing to bet that the knock sensors on your neighbors LR4 is spamming codes.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, even a naturally aspirated AJ133 5.0 V8 really needs high octane (91 minimum) due to the high compression ratio. The ECU can ****** timing to a degree to try and prevent pre-ignition, but these really are performance engines and they need highest octane available (as well as better detergents in said fuels).
Wow, looks like I could not use the word "******" as in the opposite of "advance" regarding timing.

[******]

VERB
  1. delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.
    "our progress was ******** by unforeseen difficulties"
    synonyms:
    delay · slow down · slow up · hold back · set back · keep back · hold up·
    [more]

DallasLoneStar

Reaction score
Yeah, what is up with the overly eager auto-censorship on this forum?! Can admins turn it off? It is hard to tell sometimes what is being said, although about 75% of the time you can tell contextually along with the number of characters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA