Glove box squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK this has bothered me for years over three different vehicles. On rough roads/bumps I get an intermittent squeak from the glove box, dash, lower A pillar area. Any ideas? All 3 Rovers have done this and I have not figured it out.

pabs406

Reaction score
There is a squeak / creeking noise coming from the plastic trim on top of the tail gate. Luckily it only squeaks when you put pressure on it, like when someone leans on it. What bothers me most are the rattles going over uneven pavement and/or road reflectors. The funny thing is that the rattles are only there in the beginning. I'm guessing, as you drive, the heat somehow "lubricates" the parts. The rattles also disappear when it rains or the ground is wet. Frustrating, especially since my 10 year old F-150 does none of this and is mistreated daily.

My center console had a squeak. I simply sprayed wd-40 on the hinges and it went away.

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha, glad I'm not the only one who obsesses over this!!! @ktm525 @Surfrider77

I get super OCD about these things (on pretty much every vehicle I have ever owned, my jeep wrangler was the worst though) ... Seems like I'm the only one who notices these things as my wife just says I'm crazy...:bird:

First thing I do is have someone (usually my wife) drive me around in my truck until I spot the exact spot of the sound. Then I take it home and start troubleshooting.

FYI - if you don't have a set of tools to remove little interior bits and pieces I suggest getting a set.
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3RJKSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

- I have found that a majority of squeaks are plastic touching/rubbing plastic or rubber, I correct these by using a generous amount of Meguiar's Ultimate Black plastic restorer on them, lubes them up nicely, then I put it back to together. I did this on the center console by quickly taking it apart and getting the contact edges that can only be exposed by removing the console. If the little silver plate around the shifter is doing this you'll have to remove and do the same, that's kind of a PITA though as it's secured from underneath with screws. Glove box is the same, it'll squeak due to rubber touching rubber, do the same...if that doesn't work then throw some WD-40 in the hinge and open and close it several times as that may be the issue.

- The passenger side A-Pillar was rattling a bit on my last LR4, come to find out the wire for the sun visor has a small lego size connector which was banging against the metal in there, I taped it down with a small piece of duct tape. Boom done.

- The rear seat would squeak occasionally, folded them down, applied WD-40 to the hinges, then folded them up and down a few times...noise gone.

- Once after thrashing my Jeep in some bumpy terrain I noticed a rattle in my door...the little white fastener/clip fell off and went to the bottom...I just used the tool kit to locate and remove.

- The only thing I do not touch is the steering column or dash itself. There is a small rubbing noise in steering column in the LR4 I just purchased...it's a CPO...so I am making LR fix it. I took it in and they said they didn't hear anything, I will be returning next week to drive the tech around and make him hear it.

***DO NOT BE AFRAID TO DIG IN AND START TAKING STUFF APART! I have found that almost everything in the LR4 is pretty straight forward and DIY. Just be sure you are doing it wisely as some items which appear to be just a "pop off" item are secured by screws...don't want to break anything. I have found that https://www.landroverpartsinternational.com/ is a good site to locate the diagrams which show how they are attached.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV