Ha! finally I have a "known issue" to fix on the LR3 - rear tailgate latch switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day the upper hatch button wouldn't cause anything to happen, no sounds, nothing. :/ Used fob to lock and unlock to see if it's a glitch...nope, nothing "F..." ! :( Drive down the road... I hear "clink-uh" The tell tale sound of when you release the hatch just enough to cause interior light to come on but still would have to press again to fully open the upper hatch. You know what I mean right?

I know in my heart, it's "F-ckd" I hope in my emotions it'll just go away. Nah, happens next day, then not for a week, then again.

New parts kit arrived from AB. I went ahead with the full deal because why skimp. $200 or so. Will install soon, ideally before it stops working and never gives me another easy shot. The deal with these is that once they never work again, getting the damn thing open for the repair is annoying as you can imagine....

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started acting up - driving down the road the overhead light will suddenly come on with the message the hatch is open, then it will go off. Rear is fully shut. Mechanisms are working, but either the latch is sticking or a senor is going. It's a bit cold today to try and figure it out - let us know how the install goes, I may need to do it soon!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started acting up - driving down the road the overhead light will suddenly come on with the message the hatch is open, then it will go off. Rear is fully shut. Mechanisms are working, but either the latch is sticking or a senor is going. It's a bit cold today to try and figure it out - let us know how the install goes, I may need to do it soon!

Atlantic british has a repair video. it's of course a lot easier to be preemptive on it though

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic british has a repair video. it's of course a lot easier to be preemptive on it though

Agree 100%. Replacing the mechanism is relatively easy--IF you do it while you can still get the hatch open. I first started by lubricating the moving parts, but the problem came back. I eventually replaced the motor.
In addition, I followed an idea that a member in another form had. I attached a small cable to the mechanism, threaded it through the interior panel, and now I can manually operate the lock if the mechanism ever fails again.

macbright

Reaction score
There is an idea for B/A to add to their Kit. Having had the pain of it failing while closed. I had to resort to cutting the interior lower panel on the tailgate in order to "get to" the mechanism just to open the gate (the cable was broken which requires replacement of the entire switch assemble), while in the cargo area. I absolutely agree preemptive is the best idea!

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you tried the reset by holding the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for 15 seconds? Mine did the same thing and the reset got everything back unlocking again. It's been about a week and of course when it wouldn't open it was pouring rain and I was trying to put something in the back while we were shopping and I had to run to the front, set the alarm off because the hatch wasn't fully closed. Anyway try the reset if you haven't already.

maxx4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall where I saw the video - but there is a DIY out there somewhere that shows a very discrete "emergency" manual release cable that you can install on the interior of the panel with a little pull ring - similar to a modern trunk release that seems like a very good idea since these fail so often. I think I'm going to try to track it down as this has been on my todo list for a while. I may even figure out a way to have the release cable tuck into that back panel with a little removable window or something so that it's hardly noticeable and just needed in case that motor does crap out say on vacation or sometime that would be inconvenient at best...

eloist

Reaction score
Mine failed as well, although it was stuck closed, and it was in August in Tennessee. I crawled around back there for about 30 mins in 100 degree heat trying to get that hatch open and said "to hell with this". I swallowed my pride and took to our indy LR guy to fix it for me.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't recall where I saw the video - but there is a DIY out there somewhere that shows a very discrete "emergency" manual release cable that you can install on the interior of the panel with a little pull ring - similar to a modern trunk release that seems like a very good idea since these fail so often. I think I'm going to try to track it down as this has been on my todo list for a while. I may even figure out a way to have the release cable tuck into that back panel with a little removable window or something so that it's hardly noticeable and just needed in case that motor does crap out say on vacation or sometime that would be inconvenient at best...

I would recommend this. I got the idea from one of the UK forums: DISCO3.CO.UK, if I recall. I used a small steel cable, attached it close to the motor that powers the release, ran it through a small incision on the carpeted panel toward the passenger's side, and finished with a loop on the end. I can simply pull on the cable, and it will release. This gives peace of mind for the situations described...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine failed a long time ago and I had the actuator replaced under warranty. It hasn't happened again. Are the replacement parts better? Is the install done such that it precludes it happening again? Is there a TSB that changes the install?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA