Hard shift into drive or reverse when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zski128

Reaction score
Hello,
Searched the forums here and couldn’t find anything that seems like my issue. I have a 2016 LR4 with about 43k on the clock. It’s still under warranty and I will be bringing it in but I always like to go in armed with info in case I get the run around. When first startup in morning or after sitting for a while shifting either into reverse or drive for the first time there is a little bit of hesitation and then shifts hard into gear as I give it gas. There is no noise when this happens and the shifts are very smooth otherwise. Anyone here heard of or experienced a similar issue?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Searched the forums here and couldn’t find anything that seems like my issue. I have a 2016 LR4 with about 43k on the clock. It’s still under warranty and I will be bringing it in but I always like to go in armed with info in case I get the run around. When first startup in morning or after sitting for a while shifting either into reverse or drive for the first time there is a little bit of hesitation and then shifts hard into gear as I give it gas. There is no noise when this happens and the shifts are very smooth otherwise. Anyone here heard of or experienced a similar issue?
could be as simple as low fluid in trans. These zf transmissions hate to be even slightly low. As fluid heats, it expands, which is possibly why you get the harsh shift.

I’d definitely get it looked at and documented with lr sooner rather than later.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the same issue on both our LR4s, if the RPM isnt within a certain range. Since they both do it, I figured it was normal. We just wait for it to drop down to 7-800 rpm and then shift. Sometimes, if it is hot out, the rpms will increase after the initial drop (1-2 minutes later) and we will get the same lurch/hard shift..

There is a TSB for it, where the software is adjusted to help match rpm. I do not remember where I saved it though. Check NHTSA's website if you get a chance.

zski128

Reaction score
Thanks for the tab. I’ll have to pay attention to the rpms next time to see. The lurch/bump into gear doesn’t happen until I push the gas pedal. We back down our driveway to the street. Then we get to the street I shift to drive what a second then press the gas. If I shift into drive and release the brake I don’t move forward almost like it’s not in gear. It’s not until I press the gas that it lurches and then moves forward.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tab. I’ll have to pay attention to the rpms next time to see. The lurch/bump into gear doesn’t happen until I push the gas pedal. We back down our driveway to the street. Then we get to the street I shift to drive what a second then press the gas. If I shift into drive and release the brake I don’t move forward almost like it’s not in gear. It’s not until I press the gas that it lurches and then moves forward.

I would definitely get that checked out. Not normal. Could be a variety of causes and fortunately you are still under warranty. Doesn’t sound like anything major- but every harsh shift puts undue stress on the transmission so it could cause problems down the road if not addressed quickly.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah.. I understand now. That is definitely different than what I've experienced.

I'm with Scott on this one. Go get it checked out my friend.

Hglouis

Reaction score
Have the same issue on both our LR4s, if the RPM isnt within a certain range. Since they both do it, I figured it was normal. We just wait for it to drop down to 7-800 rpm and then shift. Sometimes, if it is hot out, the rpms will increase after the initial drop (1-2 minutes later) and we will get the same lurch/hard shift..

There is a TSB for it, where the software is adjusted to help match rpm. I do not remember where I saved it though. Check NHTSA's website if you get a chance.
Thank you Michael! My LR4 is doing this and I’ll take the TSB in. Appreciate you posting it.

Hunter

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this same exact issue honestly, I have a 2011 with the 6 speed however. At 75k miles i changed the pan to the metal pan/filter combo and refilled with ZF fluid. The shifting characteristics were the same. I messed up the gasket and it was sweating fluid for a while. It would take days for a drip here or there so i kept an eye on it and the tranny temp since it was cold out and i was lazy to redo the seal. Fast forward to current with 104k miles I dropped the pan again and this time changed out the mechatronic sleeve and ordered a valve body from ebay and bolted it up. Then i refilled with Amsoil fluid this time. I figured I got more of the old fluid out since i cleared some out from the oil cooler line. It shifts like it did right off the lot...no more nonsense in the cold weather. I think the new valve body did the trick? or the Amsoil fluid...who knows. BTW temps running way cooler on the tranny. Average temp for my tranny was about 70C. Now i never see anything over 65C.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV