Has Anyone Disabled Front Parking Sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am considering disabling my front parking sensors (with my GAP IIDTool) tomorrow when I install my new ARB front bumper/winch on my 2013 LR4.

Has anyone disabled their front parking sensors with the GAP IIDTool? Specifically, in 2012+ models, what happens to the screen that pops up and shows the general location of the object? I know it will still work for the rear sensors, but wondering if disabling the front affects that at all.

I know when you turn off park assist on the dash, the graphic just comes up and doesn't show any flashing at the front or back.

I just don't want any weird faults, etc. if I don't install the front parking sensors.

Thanks so much!

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get the graphic at all on my 2013 (unless I press the touchscreen), so I think nothing at all will happen if you just disable the front ones, but you should probably test turning them off now, before the ARB bull bar goes up.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get the graphic at all on my 2013 (unless I press the touchscreen), so I think nothing at all will happen if you just disable the front ones, but you should probably test turning them off now, before the ARB bull bar goes up.
Thanks, Umberto!

The graphic comes up after I put the truck in reverse, camera pops up while in reverse, but when I put it back in drive the graphic is there showing the front and back locations of potential close objects. Only the graphic pops up when I shut them off using the P button on the dash.

You are right, maybe I will test it tonight.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'll have to figure out how that graphic pops up on your touchscreen and not on mine, must be some setting I disabled somewhere. Is your sound system off normally? When I do what you say, mine just reverts from rear camera (after several seconds) to either the main menu or whatever submenu I was on before engaging reverse.

Anyway, it'll be good to hear if there is anything funky going on after you disable the front sensors as I've never tried that mod but have thought about it before going off-roading. That beeping can get annoying when maneuvering in tight quarters on a trail.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'll have to figure out how that graphic pops up on your touchscreen and not on mine, must be some setting I disabled somewhere. Is your sound system off normally? When I do what you say, mine just reverts from rear camera (after several seconds) to either the main menu or whatever submenu I was on before engaging reverse.

Anyway, it'll be good to hear if there is anything funky going on after you disable the front sensors as I've never tried that mod but have thought about it before going off-roading. That beeping can get annoying when maneuvering in tight quarters on a trail.
My audio (radio usually) is always on in the truck. I have never changed any settings, it's been like this since day one.

My 2011 did exactly as you describe, but my 2013 it is a bit different. I had to run over to the receiving dock just now (to pick up 71 lbs of front bumper mounting hardware) and tested it again and it did as follows: shift into reverse, slight beep, camera pops on, and then when I shift to drive the screen automatically changes to the graphic of the car that shows potential areas of impact in the front and back of the graphic of the vehicle. When I start to drive away it then pops to the home screen or whatever screen it was on last time.

Like I said before, I have turned off the parking assist button on the dash (which is usually illuminated until the graphic screen goes away) and it still shows the graphic, but no beeping or visual cues of potential impact areas. The visual cues are yellow flashes that turn to red as you get closer.

Personally, I HATE the front parking sensors while off roading, they tend to go on and off when going around tight areas, reversing, going forward, etc. and because you don't typically speed up like on the road, I always shut them off manually.

I do use my rear sensors and camera quite a bit, so I don't want to lose that, but I feel as though the front sensors don't do anything for me. In fact, I kind of hate the dual beeps - I know they are different tones, but sometimes I can't tell which is which beep when parallel parking.

-David

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I installed the ARB front bumper (see the other thread) and did not install the front parking sensors. They were tucked up into the bumper since they are part of the harness with the fog lights.

I tried to disable the front sensors with my IIDTool, but selecting "rear" in the PAM part of the CCF menu did not work, both the front and rear are active.

Any advice?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just install them? They are useful IMO. you went to all that trouble for everything else, might as well have them.

wheeler

Reaction score
Hello, LR4 Folks. I recently acquired a 2007 LR3 HSE with a winch/bumper in front. The rear park sensors work normally but the front sensors seem to be disabled. The bumper covers in middle two front park sensors but the outboard pair seem to be unobstructed.

I'm wondering if there's a way to update the configuration file such that just the outboard front pair of park sensors are enabled? And, if so, can the IIDTool BT configure this? I don't know if having the two sensors in front would be better than none. Thanks!

lr3_zpsdf5a2080.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's either all 4 or nothing. IIDTool (and the "official" IDS) certainly doesn't allow you to be selective, you can either enable or disable the front park sensors, but not individually or in pairs.

PS: Congrats!

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hmm, this is how my 2013 seems to work also. Interested to determine the variance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut