HD Pack - after sale installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LndRvr_LR4

Reaction score
We finally bought our dream vehicle this week - a Corris Gray, 2016 LR4. The price (an offer we couldn't resist), color and most features on this particular car that we bought was what worked out for us in the end, but I really wanted the heavy duty package. Unfortunately no other cars in local inventory (and 2 other dealerships in north NJ) had this package built in. I am willing to spend and have it installed post-purchase - I would like to know if and where I can get one installed on our LR - I really prefer to have it installed at JLR than third-party. I wrote to and called JLR customer care - no responses with promises to call back.

Not that I plan to take the truck offroading regularly, but I wanted to "complete" the truck with its full set of capabilities. Looking at internet articles and experiences, I am not so sure I would be successful in getting one installed. I'd like to try as much as possible before the acceptance phase starts ;-)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the exact cost will be, but I can near guarantee you that it will far surpass any savings you got on this particular LR4 vs. scouting out one that already had the HD package, and that assumes: (1) it can even be done; and (2) it won't destroy your warranty.

LndRvr_LR4

Reaction score
Interesting comment on the warranty - I hadn't thought about that. (If it could be done, ) I'd have assumed it goes on the existing contract, or at least a new one for the HD since they'd be using genuine JLR parts.

I concede on the cost part as well - the $1,350 for the HD option almost sounded too good to be true.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the '14 through '16 models, the HD package isn't just a rear locker--it's a low range transfer case as well. It might also include a different computer, but that's just conjecture.

I can see all that hitting close to $10k at a dealer.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget about it. Authorized LR dealers won't do it, no matter how much money you throw at them, as the HD Pack is a factory option and not a dealer installed accessory. You could have a reputable LR independent shop order the parts - lots and lots of them - and do the work, but besides the exorbitant cost (ryan's estimate is probably conservative by the time it's all said and done) you'd void the factory warranty should anything related go wrong down the road: transfer case, differential, Terrain Response, transmission, and so many other systems or sub-systems that could be affected and not be covered by a warranty anymore.

Last edited:

Christianmotox

Reaction score
Personally, from the HD package the one thing i would definetely want to get would be the rear locker.
Ive looked in to it and i found a used diferential on ebay for $400, and i was thinkg of independently wiring the electronic locker to engage at the push of a button so i dont have to deal with computers.

But then again, my list off projects is several pages long LOL and not sure if i will ever get to it.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably always buy the ARB air lockers. Again though, youre going to spend quite a lot either way.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air lockers won't do much good without a low range... If he had a 2013 or earlier it wouldn't be as complicated, that's for sure.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually 2014s and later, but yeah... That's when LR started making the 2-speed xfer case part of the optional HD package (which also includes electronic rear lockers and a full size spare tire) on the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi