Hd package / rear locker how to tell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying that I am getting out of my lr4, but supposing I was browsing discovery 5s, is there any way to tell if a HSE Lux has the rear locker from the center console? If i see the terrain response rock crawl mode or something? I made sure to order the HD package on my lr4, but in browsing used disco 5 models how do I tell?

Reaction score
Just to be clear, you are asking how to know if a Disco5 has a rear locker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
According to this video, the HD package provides the rear diff. It’s a decent video.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to this video, the HD package provides the rear diff. It’s a decent video.

Yes I saw that video (it’s cool) but the question is when browsing used vehicles is there an easy way to tell that the car has the HD package? Does terrain response look different in the dash? Or do I have to get the original sticker and see what it was ordered with and communicate with dealers directly about every possible truck?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, but I put mine in snow mode and a screen pops up showing the "locking" of the axles on the dashboard. Guess that's an easy way.

Reaction score
I always thought if it had the “low” button it had rear lockers. As not all have the “low. But upon buying my LR4 I found that not to be true. Hmmm. This is interesting.

ChamosLR3

Reaction score
Only way to know on the Disco 5 and trust me I've searched and just bought one and it's near impossible if buying used you have to get in the vehicle put it in mudruts mode see if two locks appear mid and rear talked to many sales rep, and finally was told the answer about this, it used to be sold to any lr3 with the trailer package or hd package on the LR4 JLR got smart and said hey not everyone wants it and we can sell this separate to make more noney so it became an option for additional cost when you order the trailer package I've searched many and if you're buying used not many people didn't want that option only found one used HDE TD6 with 74k well taken care off almost bought it but in IL there seems to be an issue with Diesel and JLR engines apparently we don't get good enough Diesel ⛽ at the pump. Happy Hunting

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
My 2019 LR5 has a 2-speed xfer case and the trailering pkg, but does NOT have the locking rear diff. It does have a locking center diff. I think the only way to tell if there's a locking rear diff is to put the Terrain Response into Rock/Crawl mode (or maybe Snow Mode) and look at the symbols on the screen that comes up.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems insane to have to dig in a computer to tell something as real as a locker.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick