HDC Fault, Engine Fault, Special Programs Not Available, EPB Fault, and more HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McAnally

Reaction score
I did a search, but had no luck. Maybe it's due to the panic I'm feeling. lol About 3 months ago the sound on our stereo went out, but since it was more of a luxury on the vehicle we just left it alone. Rarely we will get a message saying that cruise control is not available, but it wasn't often so I didn't worry about it. Today while leaving the store we got several messages: HDC Fault System Not Available, Electric Parking Brake Fault (which only happens every now and then), Engine System Fault, and once you start the engine a message saying System Fault Special Programs Not Available. Now our speedometer is not functioning and the suspension stays lowered. Any idea what the problem may be. I have disconnected and reconnected the battery in an attempt to reset the system, but it did no good. Just found out we have a new baby on the way so this couldn't come at a worse time. I made a video of the symptoms and posted it at the following link http://youtu.be/qIvKggKlslU Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I do apologize if this has been covered in the past.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your LR3 and how old is your battery?

McAnally

Reaction score
Sorry I guess the year model would have been helpful. It is an 05 and I'm not sure how old the battery is. We purchased the vehicle in March of 2010, and we have not put a new battery in. We've never had any problems with it though ie dead battery, jump starting, etc.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low battery can throw multiple warnings and alarms. If you have an '05 I'd be shocked if it was still on the original. HDC warnings are very common with low battery voltage.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tail and brake lights.

Per the link below, a defective brake light switch can cause a lot of false fault codes to display. First check your tail and brake light bulbs. Did you recently change any and did you use genuine LR or cheapies - it can matter.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5082

For the **** substitute disco3 co uk and put periods in where the blank spaces are - blocking and all, you know.

The switch is only about 25 dollars so it is a good first try as if it has never been replaced, it should be. If it makes you feel any better, Toyota has a recall out regarding about 50,000 vehicles to replace the brake light switch. In there case, the hint is the car will not start.

In our case, because we have the hill decent circuit, unhappy signals from the brake light switch and bulbs are fed back into the ECU via the hill decent, anti skid and antilock logic circuits. Since LR did not put a code in for deteriorating brake light switch contacts, the computers just throw out every message they can find. The trouble display reminds me of a baby with a limited vocabulary - they just scream about every hurt, real or imagined, and it is up to the parents to interpret. The general rule is the more error messages, the less serious the problem, but the harder it is to find.

McAnally

Reaction score
I have not replaced the brake lights/bulbs, but did replace the back up lights about a month ago. I couldn't get the the web site posted, but I found a brake light switch for $12.95 that I'm going to go ahead and order. Hopefully, that will fix the problem. As far as driving with the suspension lowered. Is there anything we should be worried about damaging?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your back

The lowered suspension just gives a rough ride and control is not as good as it was so no racing about. The back up lights are tied to the rest of the other tail lights via the ground. In theory this should not matter but defective bubs can do strange things. If there is doubt, sometimes just remove the a bulb.

One of the toughest signal light problems I ever had was an internally defective front signal light bulb on a Chev showing up as a problem at the rear. Filaments cross and feed power to places it should not go, but because of the filament Resistance, no fuses blow.

Try this link to the gallery and then look about half way down for the brake light section.

Again, disco3 co uk with a period where the spaces are in place of the ****

http://www.**************/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to get the battery checked and/or replaced. Also look for corroded negative terminal on the battery. If battery needs replacing, which I will assume it does, do that first and clean the corrosion for sure.

Keep us posted.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never hear of or seen "Engine System Fault" included in the suite of battery related faults, though...

....I would take it in to get it scoped on an IDS if it were me.

McAnally

Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to get the battery checked and/or replaced. Also look for corroded negative terminal on the battery. If battery needs replacing, which I will assume it does, do that first and clean the corrosion for sure.

Keep us posted.
The battery appears to be fine meaning there is zero corrosion, but I have not gotten it tested yet. I've been told that the battery could test fine, but be low enough to throw the errors still. Do you guys know if there is any truth to that?

I've never hear of or seen "Engine System Fault" included in the suite of battery related faults, though...

....I would take it in to get it scoped on an IDS if it were me.

It looks like that is what I will have to do. I replaced the brake light switch today, but saw no changes. After taking the old one apart I feel like it was a good decision though. Even if it wasn't the problem now it was only a matter of time. I just hate paying someone $105 just to hook my LR up to a computer.

On top of everything else my fuel gauge is reading empty even though I know there is at least a half a tank in it. Now I'm getting stressed cause I'll be in the field for 6 weeks starting next Wednesday, and the LR is the only source of transportation my wife will have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA